Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local newspaper put out an open letter to "responsible" gun owners on ideas to stop mass shootings. Though in the article they pretty much bash the idea of increasing CCW so I am not sure how open-minded they are about the subject.

Gun owners: Tell us how you'd solve this violence

·
Banned
365 Posts
It's the AZ Republic, they lean pretty far left, AFAIC.

The answer to the problem has been staring everyone in the face and they can't seem to see the forest for the trees: It's the failure of the mental health system in America today, and people that are in a position of authority that take a "hands off, not my problem" response and do not report possible mental health issues to get these people the help they needed.

Example: Jared Lee Loughner. He was known to be mentally disturbed before he went on his spree in Tucson, and IIRC, he was either supposed to be or on mental health medication also. Unfortunately, many people that could have said something about his mental health at the community college he attended prior to the shooting, as well as his own family, DID NOT say anything about his peculiar behavior. Since these mental health issues were never reported to people in authority who could have done something, they NEVER found these issues in a background check, and he was able to purchase the firearms he used. Now, unfortunately, those people who did nothing will have to live with the consequences of their inaction.

I bet if you look at the others mentioned in the article, along with others in recent history, you will see anti social behavior and possibly not diagnosed mental health issues in each and every one of them.

If this logic that the gun is the culprit was applied to drunk driving, people would be pushing for automobiles to be banned. But it isn't. Instead, we take those that have problems with alcohol and get them the help they need by getting them to a rehabilitation clinic in the hopes that they get and stay sober. Why can't we do this with those with mental health issues?

The problem is not the gun in the hands of responsible owners. The problem is a society, and especially those in authority, that take a "hands off, not my problem" approach to those that could have festering mental health problems that could result in these types of serious actions. Unfortunately, I don't see this situation getting any better in the immediate future, and quite possibly in the distant future.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have no wish to print my name and address in an AZ. newspaper for all to see. I don't have any guns, bulge in my untucked shirt is probably a tool pouch on my belt.
the gun situation is like a light switch, it's either on or off. everybody has a gun and training or nobody has a gun. terroists(Timothy McVeigh) or crazy people(Robert Dear) are going to do what they're going to do, laws and LE have little effect on that, that's the world we live in. try to be safe. enjoy the day.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The local newspaper put out an open letter to "responsible" gun owners on ideas to stop mass shootings. Though in the article they pretty much bash the idea of increasing CCW so I am not sure how open-minded they are about the subject.

Gun owners: Tell us how you'd solve this violence
Joe, I'm sure you're well intentioned, but why would you potentially expose anyone on this forum to such a myopic bunch as "Gannett"? Keep this in mind: Gannett is the parent company of a local newspaper in southern New York, which unapologetically published names and addresses of all permit holders. Reply if you must, but at least recognize you will be sleeping with the enemy.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I have no wish to print my name and address in an AZ. newspaper for all to see. I don't have any guns, bulge in my untucked shirt is probably a tool pouch on my belt.
the gun situation is like a light switch, it's either on or off. everybody has a gun and training or nobody has a gun. terroists(Timothy McVeigh) or crazy people(Robert Dear) are going to do what they're going to do, laws and LE have little effect on that, that's the world we live in. try to be safe. enjoy the day.
But there will be people who respond to the newspaper; people who want to get attention and may not represent responsible gun owners well.

Many reporters love to get the words of a willing, attention grabbing "spokesman" and twist them for their liberal purposes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
"Many reporters love to get the words of a willing, attention grabbing "spokesman" and twist them for their liberal purposes. "

wow! the "liberals" must have stolen that from Fox news. hehehehehe.

·
Registered
734 Posts
So many assumptions.

• That fighting against gun control doesn't do anything to prevent mass shootings.
  • That random shootings are becoming "the new normal" and we have to return to the more peaceful ways of the past.
  • That civilian gun owners -by and large- own weapons of war.
  • That there is anything more to Obama's comments beyond an assault on the 2nd Amendment.
  • That there is a solution to random acts of violence.
  • That "gun violence" is a meaningful term.
  • That gun owners aren't working toward a solution.
  • That any small concession in an anti-gun agenda makes it pro-2A.
  • That the measures which 2A supporters fight against will keep guns out of the hands of the disqualified.
  • That there are no attempts to confiscate private arms.
  • That the status quo is not working.
  • That concealed carry is not the answer.
  • That concealed carry is vigilantism.

Responding on their terms would be to accept their implicit assumptions. One could attempt to refute their assumptions before addressing violent crime, but that's a long list to refute and they're limiting replies to 200 words. Clever, aren't they?

·
Registered
717 Posts
They want you to submit a letter to them so they can dissect it and rip it apart with their own agendas and then print their rebuttal.
Basically you are just throwing wood on their fire.
I do not trust the media for a second. Everything they do is related to spreading their viewpoints. It has absolutely nothing to do with reality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.