Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys
Out to the range today down in Hudson Florida. Installed a 9 lb. hammer spring on this Ruger SP101 TALO . This is the Ruger new replacement TALO for the SP101 that Ruger stated they could not repair. I fired 50 rounds of Winchester FMJ ammo. The first five rounds two fired the next pull of the trigger jammed unable to pull the hammer back. This went on thru the fifty rounds intermittently. I took the gun home and lubed the gun again installed the ten lb. hammer spring now and will see if it works on the next range trip. If the 9lb. spring fired all the rounds I don't think it has anything to do with the gun jamming. I will see if different brands of ammo will do anything. It looks like this gun will be going back to Ruger .

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
So does this only happen in DA? If so have you tried a few cylinders in nothing but SA? In your description you say you pulled the trigger but it "jammed" and you couldn't pull back the hammer, correct? Just trying to picture the exact sequence of actions that produces the problem.

Very surprising you would have the same problem with two different new SP101s.

I agree - the 9lb hammer spring would have no bearing on this that I can think of. I could see some ignition problems but if anything it should be easier to pull the trigger or cock the hammer.

·
Banned
58 Posts
I see this problem in ruger double action trigger jobs from time to time.

Sometimes the trigger plunger and the bolt drag on one another. It's actually your trigger guard latch spring that's the issue. If you went to light the easy fix is to use a heavier spring.

The more time consuming fix is to polish the engagement surfaces of the bolt and trigger plunger.

If you take the trigger unit out you can see how these two parts interact.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys
This is the wife's gun. She is so disappointed in this gun that she is sorry that she ever bought it. See if I can make it clearer what is going on here.
You load the five rounds, you fire the first round just pulling the trigger, you may fire the second round the next pull of the trigger it does not move, I open the cylinder remove the fired cases load it up and I am able to fire one or two rounds and the next shot you can't pull the trigger again. This went on intermittently with the 50 rounds of ammo. It looks like I got a second lemon.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Wow, not sure what's going on here. Seems astronomical odds to recieve TWO dud Ruger revolvers.
You said you replaced springs... are you absolutely certain you've got everything reassembled properly? Is the trigger housing fully seated?
Something is amiss here. I too recently purchased a TALO SP101 and it is one smooth operator.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure if this has been asked before or not; are you using factory ammunition?

I've read about primers backing out or the bullet shifting due to improper reloading techniques causing jams in revolvers... maybe try different types of ammo?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
3 other things I can think of are that perhaps the ammo is "Dirty" and particles get lodged under the extractor, the trigger is not resetting, a lot of oil in the chambers allowing the cartridge case to back out on firing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
None of the above Guys. Factory ammo used, gun was cleaned and lubed before use. The wife has bad luck when it comes to buying guns :(
Received an RMA from Ruger the gun was shipped today back to them FedEx at 2:30 PM. She does not want that model gun anymore, will see if they make an exchange.

·
Registered
805 Posts
None of the above Guys. Factory ammo used, gun was cleaned and lubed before use. The wife has bad luck when it comes to buying guns :(
Received an RMA from Ruger the gun was shipped today back to them FedEx at 2:30 PM. She does not want that model gun anymore, will see if they make an exchange.
Probably the best thing to exchange it one way or the other. Once your confidence in a gun is lost you will never completely trust it no matter how it is made right. Well at least I don't.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I see this problem in ruger double action trigger jobs from time to time.

Sometimes the trigger plunger and the bolt drag on one another. It's actually your trigger guard latch spring that's the issue. If you went to light the easy fix is to use a heavier spring.

The more time consuming fix is to polish the engagement surfaces of the bolt and trigger plunger.

If you take the trigger unit out you can see how these two parts interact.
I had the same problem with a 44 Redhawk today with a Wolff 13lb spring. I installed a14lb spring and the problem went away. It worked fine with the factory spring.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
If I recall the details correctly the OP only swapped out the hammer spring and never dropped the trigger group and touched the trigger return spring or other internals.

·
Registered
649 Posts
How 'bout not screwing with a gun till you shoot it a few times?

Blaming the gun seems a tad silly if you never shot it in factory configuration...

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do you know it was not fired before. I love when people come on the forum and come up with BS.......................

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I gather this was all with the same batch of ammo, presuming it was faultless, blaming the gun. Should have tried more than one batch of ammo for a good job of checking variables. I will go along with the gunk behind the ejector star thingy capable of causing a jam. Been there.

So, what gun comes next as a replacement? The SP101 is a fine gun (if you put the right grips on it). I pick up my fourth one this afternoon. That will make 357 3", 327 4", 327 3", and now 32 H&R Mag 3".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The gun has been fired with more that one type of ammo. It has had over 100 rounds of ammo put thru it. I have own several Rugers over the last 35 years I am not going to make a war over this gun on this forum.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The gun has been fired with more that one type of ammo. It has had over 100 rounds of ammo put thru it. I have own several Rugers over the last 35 years I am not going to make a war over this gun on this forum.
As long as you provide enough information, we'll all be happy (and quiet).

·
Registered
649 Posts
How do you know it was not fired before. I love when people come on the forum and come up with BS.......................
Then it evidently worked fine from the factory...

Whatever you did to the gun is apparently the issue, and not the gun itself...

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I had less than a hundred rounds though mine and it bound up tight, emailed Ruger and a tech replied about oil in the cylinder. I had excess oil in the cylinder from the factory and with the carbon it just created a sludge fest binding up everything. Powder Blasted it out and everything is now fine....hope it's something just that simple.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hard to tell without seeing it, but sounds like the firing pin might not be retracting.

I have had problems with the transfer bar on Ruger revolvers. Sometimes they are too thin and the primer doesnt get a good hit. Also, it may not be coming up far enough to engage the firing pin properly. I have also found an uneven front face that was hitting the frame. It could be bent or otherwise out of spec.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Guys
This is the wife's gun. She is so disappointed in this gun that she is sorry that she ever bought it. See if I can make it clearer what is going on here.
I think it's pretty clear.... Two guns that were "tuned up" by the husband don't work. Of course it has to be the manufacturer who is at fault :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts