Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have watched several videos on Hi Point pistols. Almost anyone you talk to will say "junk." I am no expert or even really educated on Hi Points. From the videos, they seem to be accurate, reliable and defiantly ugly. From what I have heard they have an excellent warranty. There is a video series on the 9 and 380 where iraqverteran888 does everything to destroy these guns. The 380 did not last long after being tossed in a mud, slime and cow poop bucket. The 9.....well go to youtube and check out hi Point torture test by iraqverteran888. So, I am very much thinking about buying one. Why not? $125-150 bucks for a pistol. from 380-45 same price. I would like to hear from you guys that own one (or many) and post pics. About the Hi Point carbines, I don't know much. I have two friends that own the carbine 9mm. They love them. One guy takes his camping and coneing. He has dropped it and had to get it off the river bottom several times. He says it has never FTF or FTE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have heard a lot of positives about them and only a couple negatives. Good: Cheap, accruate, reliable and good warranty.
Bad: Big and heavy, magazines go bad often, and have a bad reputation as a cop killer. (because they are so cheap almost anyone can afford one)

If you wanted a cheap gun just for target shooting and fun you cant go wrong. I wouldnt use it as a cary gun or anything like that. If you read the reviews on them most of them are positive and eveyone says they are accurate. People mostly dont give them a chance casue they are dirt cheap. I want one of their carbines.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I have an article in an older American Handgunner Special Edition dealing with these guns. According to them, the ones they tested were pretty darned reliable. But I'll also add that in my LE capacity, I seem to encounter Hi Points more than any other brand when dealing with my "clients". It's like they've taken over where Lorcin left off. Me, I'm a Ruger guy all the way, but hey, if the Hi-Point does it for you, more power to ya.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I just don't see why they can't come up with a better looking design. I know the slide has to be bulky from the lower quality material but they could still mill the thing in a way that doesn't scream hit every branch down falling from the ugly tree.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have no experience with the pistols beyond holding one at a Pawn Shop. But I do love my 9mm Carbine. Ugly as sin and heavy but it is accurate and great for training new shooters on a rifle with inexpensive ammo. Plus if someone drops it, it can't get much uglier.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The fixed barrel should make it more inherrently accurate than any locked breech gun, but they make the early Ruger semi autos look like beauty queens. A P90 looks positively anorexic next to a hi-point.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have flipped 3 40 calibers and 1 45acp in the past month or so. They look odd, They feel odd in the shooting hand, It is very easy to call them a POS, B U T They shoot fine...for what they are. I paid about $150 each for them at auction and sold them for $200 each plus $30 for the laser-sight on the 45acp, ...BUD's has them for $163 new-delivered, So they have a market niche.

Personally I don't like them and would not consider keeping one.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
i have not shot their handguns much but I have their carbines in 9 and 45 and both owrk like a champ 600-800 rounds no cleaning and still work reliably and are more accurate then needed for general shooting or self defence.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've never owned a Hi-Point, however I work with a company the teaches concealed carry classes. For the most part the only guns that give us trouble are Hi-Points and Taurus, they cause about 85% of the malfunctions.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My C9 is not a work of art (my LC9 is, though), but for those who want a 9mm for next to nothing, Hi-Point is there. Its owner has decided that people of lesser means deserve firearms, too. Not everybody can afford $600 for a handgun, so there is a market. HP serves its customers well: no questions asked, it will repair any HP owned by anyone (subsequent purchasers).

I am impressed with the C9s ability to function in the midst of being tortured.

I can''t speak to all the company's firearms, bu the C9 is worth considering. (I kept it when I purchased my L 9). The LC9 is a better firearm by far, but it ought to be for its price.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
HI-Point

cheap, ugly, but apparently they go bang on a "fairly regular" basis.:eek::D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've never owned a Hi-Point, however I work with a company the teaches concealed carry classes. For the most part the only guns that give us trouble are Hi-Points and Taurus, they cause about 85% of the malfunctions.
Hi Points are inexpensive, top heavy, ugly, reliable guns. Unfortunately, because they are so inexpensive they are often purchased by first time/inexperienced shooters as their first handgun. If you do not shoot these guns with a firm grip (limp wrist) they will have FTE/FTF failures. Beginners with a gun that requires a firm grip equals a lot of reported failures. Shoot a Hi-Point properly and it will go bang every time.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
As long as you're not in it to impress someone, go for it! I think they're worth the money.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
About the Hi Point carbines, I don't know much. I have two friends that own the carbine 9mm. They love them. One guy takes his camping and coneing. He has dropped it and had to get it off the river bottom several times. He says it has never FTF or FTE.
I have had a ball with my HP 995. The tactical stocks have less of the ugly factor than the solid stocks. :D

Been utterly reliable and accurate. I've been able to ping steel with it out to 125 and I've seen people go farther with them.

Don't own one of their pistols, but the ones I've shot were accurate.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My dad bought a 9mm carbine for the hell of it. He really likes it and says it is very reliable. I have handled it and had zero emotion towards it one way or another, to me it looks like a scifi movie prop. That being said it is an affordable and reliable option for a pistol carbine.

I can't speak on the pistols but damn are they ugly.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If I had one and went to the range when it was busy..I'm sure the range officer would eventually come up to me and ask, "Why do you have a paper bag over your handgun"?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a HP C9; its looks take some effort to love. But at least it's not as ugly as a Glock!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts