Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I also heard that CCI is currently maxed out, producing about 4 million rounds a day, and Federal is also running at top capacity at about 8 million.
That is distinctly different from what CCI said in their (now pulled) video
showing how they manufacture .22lr. The statement in the video was that
they were producing 7 million rounds PER DAY, from that one location
in Idaho.

That was seven days per week.
IIRC, they said they did not work on four days of each year.
That's 2.5 BILLION per year, just from CCI. :eek:
(31 rounds per owner/yr) New production.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
As soon as I see a 'pallet' of bulk ammo on the Wal-mart floor.... Then I will believe it.... I am skeptical as I've yet to see any bulk stuff being sold :) . Other than the over-priced boxes at gun shows....

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Except for my LCR22, which I carry on our early morning neighborhood walks, my .22s have been safe queens.
Sadly, if .22LR becomes available at a good price, I will probably hoard about 6K or 8K rounds. ... :eek:
The .22 is a good round for the family and new shooters.
I prefer 9mm and above.

·
Registered
785 Posts
In my case, seeing is believing. I haven't shot anything taking 22lr in over 3 years.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I'm starting to see it more around here - but the price sure has gone up. Stuff that was selling for $20 a brick three or four years ago is around $35 now. Luckily I was pretty well stocked up before all the craziness hit so I still have plenty.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I bought 2000 rounds of 22lr in 2008. The writing was on the wall,, so,,,. But I still have them. I just dont use 22 lr much. Since 2008 we shot a 22 lr once last summer when we had a little family git together shoot. I think the gals shot about 4 boxes of old stock I already had. But because she enjoyed it so much, I did buy my wife a CZ 452 22lr for Christmas,, so that all may change.
I hoarded 22 magnum, which is what i use for varmint hunting.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Where is it all? I hope the price bottoms out and the 22lr hoarders have to eat it all!

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I have not seen a box of Federal or CCI .22LR in over three years now. What has become readily available at a local LGS is Armscor and Aguila. Have tried both and they seem to be pretty reliable. At least the Armscor will cycle my 10/22 and a couple of semi-auto .22 pistols.

Glad Federal/CCI are talking about increasing production, but they may have let some competitors in the market which may make it more difficult for them to get their share of customers back.

As for price, I can get both the Armscor and Aguila for $4.99/50 round box. Sometimes on sale for $3.99. That's a little bit higher (10 cents/round) that I used to pay, but then so is everything else compared to three years ago (except gas).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mixed bag fellas.. I'm out of 22 lr, and need to reload (see what I did theee..?), so hoping to see prices below $0.07 a round. Have seen some deals on line...

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I have not seen a box of Federal or CCI .22LR in over three years now. What has become readily available at a local LGS is Armscor and Aguila. Have tried both and they seem to be pretty reliable. At least the Armscor will cycle my 10/22 and a couple of semi-auto .22 pistols.

Glad Federal/CCI are talking about increasing production, but they may have let some competitors in the market which may make it more difficult for them to get their share of customers back.

As for price, I can get both the Armscor and Aguila for $4.99/50 round box. Sometimes on sale for $3.99. That's a little bit higher (10 cents/round) that I used to pay, but then so is everything else compared to three years ago (except gas).
I'm sure once ATK (CCI, Federal, etc) increase their production, they will still sell all they can make fairly quickly.

Back in 2013, the only .22LR available at one of the local gun shops was the Aguila SuperExtra high velocity ammo. It fed reliably and shot accurately.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Just before Christmas I got a thousand rounds from the Field & Stream just a few miles down the road. Since then, I've ordered three bricks in the last four weeks. The last one should arrive on Monday. It's out there guys.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am seeing .22LR in more and more quantity at the local guns hops and larger sports box style stores. I can never find any at my local Wallmart super store. I just simply refuse to pay $3.00 + for a box of fifty rounds.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Just simply refuse to pay $3.00 + for a box of fifty rounds.
Yep.... Me too. That's why I turned to the lowly .32 H&R Mag cartridge as my 'reloadable' .22. Really, for me, the only reason I shot .22 in the past is for cheap practice ammo and varmint hunting. Did not mind blowing through 500 at the range. So, when not cheap (~$20 for 550 is what I'd consider reasonable) or not available, forget it.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I just simply refuse to pay $3.00 + for a box of fifty rounds.
Same here. Glad I was hoarder waaaaay before the scare even got close. I quit buying 22LR when the prices started going through the roof.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I am seeing .22LR in more and more quantity at the local guns hops and larger sports box style stores. I can never find any at my local Wallmart super store. I just simply refuse to pay $3.00 + for a box of fifty rounds.
Hate to break it to you, but if $3 is your limit, you wont be shooting 22LR anytime soon.:eek::rolleyes::p;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts