Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just disassembled my MKIII Target for the first time (that was interesting), and now I'm going to shine this baby up.

I bought a .22 cleaning kit that has three attachment heads:
1. Metal brush looking thing
2. Cotton
3. Patch loop

I tried sticking the metal brush attachment into the barrel but it seemed like a really really tight fit. This wont ruin the barrel right? It just feels weird.

Also, could someone recommend a good process, like which attachments to use first, and when to use gun oil?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Brady

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
That metal brush is your bore brush and it has to be a tight fit. I don't own a Mark series pistol so won't tell you how to clean it. There are folks here with tons of experience with them. But I will say that you want to be careful pushing or pulling the brush through the bore.
When I use a bore brush I slide the rod through the barrel from the muzzle end then attach the brush and pull the brush through. You want it to go through as straight as possible. You don't want to scrape the bore with the rod. Most rods are made of aluminum or brass to reduce the possibility of scratching.
A lot of people use bore snakes myself included, I like and recommend them.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You will probably get many suggestions so take mine for what it's worth

1 patch loop w/patch soaked w/solvent

2 run the brush all the way through then back a few times

3 repeat # 1

4 patch loop w/dry patch, keep changing patch until it comes out clean

5 patch loop w/oiled patch

that's what I do

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use the Patch Worm most of the time been thinking about trying one of the Otis pistol cleaning kits anyone else use one? :)

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I use the Patch Worm most of the time been thinking about trying one of the Otis pistol cleaning kits anyone else use one? :)
Haven't used one but I sent an Otis M4/AR15 kit to my niece in Afghanistan. She was thrilled said it was much better than the issue kit.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I won't use steel brushes on any of my pistols or rifles, but brass brushes should be perfectly fine to clean with. They're softer than the barrel's steel & won't scratch it. Bore snakes are great too. I don't own one for any of my pistols, but always used them on my shotguns.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Hey all,

I just disassembled my MKIII Target for the first time (that was interesting), and now I'm going to shine this baby up.

I bought a .22 cleaning kit that has three attachment heads:
1. Metal brush looking thing
2. Cotton
3. Patch loop

I tried sticking the metal brush attachment into the barrel but it seemed like a really really tight fit. This wont ruin the barrel right? It just feels weird.

Also, could someone recommend a good process, like which attachments to use first, and when to use gun oil?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Brady
I recommend you go to the Ruger site and watch the video about cleaning the Mark III pistol.

The brass brush will loosen up after a couple of uses. Make sure that you don't try to pull it BACK though until it's all the way through the barrel.

//http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIIStandard/extras.html

·
Registered
168 Posts
Another vote for the boresnake. I use them on just about every gun.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I assume you bought a 22 cal brush. I don't strip the Mark 111 down unless I've put around 400 rounds through it. I do all cleaning from breech to muzzle. I attach the bore brush, spray some Ballistol (or other cleaner) on it and clean the barrel. I go all the way through and then back it out. You can also detach the brush if you want. Careful not to scrape the muzzle end with the rod. I then run patches through it until they come out clean. Then I clean the rest of the gun with q tips and toothpicks. Follow the directions on the Ruger videos. They are excellent. I run the boresnake through from breech to muzzle after range sessions and clean what I can with toothpicks and q tips. Yiogo

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
The barrel is subjected to a coated/lead bullet fired with a powder propellant,I'm pretty sure a brass brush will not hurt it,that is unless you really try...

·
Registered
687 Posts
A brass ( bronze or nylon) brush, of the proper caliber will NOT harm the gun or the bore, they are softer than the barrels metal itself, and the brush is more aggressive at removing fouling and leading than a plain, soft swab or such.......porper cleaning solvents help also,wether you use Hoopes or Shooters Choice,both work....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts