·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too many choices, too little chance of winning the lottery :(

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have had nothing but Jeeps for the last 20 years. A handful of Wranglers and more recently a couple of Grand Cherokees to fit the family.

I would definitely rock that Jeep Chief if they offered it.

My current DD:

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Have had Grand Cherokee's in my garage for 15 years. This year we downsizes to a Cherokee Limited. My wife and I love it. The Jeep Chief looks like a real winner.

I ran across a piece in the summer issue 2000 of Double Gun Journal. It explained how the Jeep Cherokee wagon got it's name.

Cherokee was the name of a grand hunting lodge in South Carolina. The president of American Motors at the time was a avid hunter and loved the lodge. When the lodge went up for sale there were two buyers interested Aristotle Onassis and the president of American Motors. Onassis didn't buy it but the president of American Motors did.
As the article went on "He kept it for a few years and was sufficiently smitten to name his new Jeep station wagon after it".

True or not still a cool story.

Ref. Double Gun Journal, volume eleven issue 2, summer 2000

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have had Grand Cherokee's in my garage for 15 years. This year we downsizes to a Cherokee Limited. My wife and I love it. The Jeep Chief looks like a real winner.

I ran across a piece in the summer issue 2000 of Double Gun Journal. It explained how the Jeep Cherokee wagon got it's name.

Cherokee was the name of a grand hunting lodge in South Carolina. The president of American Motors at the time was a avid hunter and loved the lodge. When the lodge went up for sale there were two buyers interested Aristotle Onassis and the president of American Motors. Onassis didn't buy it but the president of American Motors did.
As the article went on "He kept it for a few years and was sufficiently smitten to name his new Jeep station wagon after it".

Thanks for sharing that story.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts

Great story.
I bought a red 1974 Jeep Cherokee and that was the greatest 4 wheeler in the world in spite of all the smog crap.
We towed the boat, ran down the beach south of San Felipe, Mexico and camped right on the beach.
Went skiing in Utah and did everything there was to do in that great Jeep.
CB radio was popular then and my handle was 'Cherokee'
Have always had a spot in my heart for Jeeps and that classic grill on the Chief in your link says it all.
Thanks for the thread, alayonruger :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've had two cars since I started driving. The first was an 89 Cherokee that was rusty and beat to hell. I put 60k miles on it and the motor rattled all the way to 285k. I drove it for four years. My second is a loaded 90 Cherokee with power everything. I've had it for almost two years now and have put about 18k miles on it.

Those concepts are pretty awesome, but I'll be interested when they revamp the 4.0L and AW/4 combo.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Like the Chief! Different color please though. Miss my old TJ. Sad what Jeeps have become now - more fashionable name than anything else. Even the ones that buy them thinking their the adventure family just for owning one. Yeah, cover it with chrome and/or all the off road prep stuff and never leave a handpicked dirt road. Yup - adventure. *roll eyes*

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Yeah, that Chief Concept gets my vote as well. Great looking vehicle.
Thanks alayonruger!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Like the Chief! Different color please though. Miss my old TJ. Sad what Jeeps have become now - more fashionable name than anything else. Even the ones that buy them thinking their the adventure family just for owning one. Yeah, cover it with chrome and/or all the off road prep stuff and never leave a handpicked dirt road. Yup - adventure. *roll eyes*

Ah yes, the "mall crawlers".... I like parking my trail toy next to them....

My daily driver is a 2000 TJ 4.0 5spd

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jeep Renegade, Made in Italy

Italian-made version of iconic Jeep goes on sale in US

Art Anderson, FCA US chief engineer, said the Renegade was designed to deliver the Jeep brand's traditional capability in a relatively small package that is bolstered by the latest electronics, which are used in the driveline.

The Renegade is capable of switching automatically from four-wheel to two-wheel drive, and offers optional driver's-assistance features such as a backup camera.

The Renegade is expected to augment US sales without cutting into those of the Jeep Compass, Patriot and Wrangler, all of which have benefited from a revival of Jeep sales since the end of the recession in 2009.

Overall Jeep sales were up 20 percent in the first two months of 2015 compared with a year earlier, despite criticism of its quality by one of Americans' favorite car-buying guides, Consumer Reports.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts