Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says, I took in trade 2 pistols for 1 thisw evening, and I must say...I think it turned out in my favor, lol. I love when that happens (not very often to me)!

One of the pistols just happened to be a Ruger P90 .45. I seriously like this big, old thing!! I shall become our new home D gun, after watching a few videos on reliability. (of course, I haven't been to the range yet)

I read and researched for some time earlier today, and after now handling it and dry firing with a bore sight laser, I just don't see anything NOT to like or at least, be able to live with.

Heck, I'm stoked! Frees up a nice HK for trade bait for another 1911, lol.

So what can you all tell me about the P90 that you like or don't? Thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have at least one model of every P series, from the P85 to the P345 ... my P90 is the best shooter out of all my handguns, built solid and never fails ... the wide grip suits my long fingers just fine ... View attachment 144623

Thanks for those kind and encouraging words, rmichael63!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Love my P90. Home defense gun? No. 7+1 isn't a home defense gun to me. Capacity, light mount, and night sights are very important. I have formal training in night shooting with a hand held flashlight. My bedside gun is an Extar9 with a red dot, and 1200 lumen mounted light, 33+1 of JHP goodness.

You might find these are prone to recoil induced "double taps." Great looking pistol.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Love my P90. Home defense gun? No. 7+1 isn't a home defense gun to me. Capacity, light mount, and night sights are very important. I have formal training in night shooting with a hand held flashlight. My bedside gun is an Extar9 with a red dot, and 1200 lumen mounted light, 33+1 of JHP goodness.

You might find these are prone to recoil induced "double taps." Great looking pistol.
I've never had a double tap with mine, recoil is pretty moderate if you ask me, now if you are limp wristing it it may feel heavy in recoil ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The DA trigger is ideal for when you just woke up to the sound of a window breaking at 3 am, your heart is racing, and you don’t want to shoot the ceiling by accident.

I absolutely agree and after having Sig P series pistols as well as HK DA/SA pistols, this Ruger DA pull is NOT that bad, lol.

·
Sky Marshal
184 Posts
I used to have a P90DC years ago, but sold it.. I kind of miss it..
Nice guns, very solidly built. The only problem I had with mine was that if I didn't have the best grip on it, it would malfunction, either failure to extract or more often failure to eject. Mine was definitely sensitive to limp-wristing, and if my hand got tired I'd start having problems.
I have a P89DAO, and I've had zero reliability problems. It seems to me that the platform is much happier with 9mm.
I know I'm happier with the 9mm version, the gun is more reliable for me, and 17 rounds (w/ MecGar magazines) is more than 8.

In any case, you made a great purchase, and I'm sure you'll really enjoy the P90, I know I did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts