Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember back in the Adam-12 days, when I watched that as a kid it never made sense to me why the cops would wear these shiny dress shoes, having to chase punks and robbers wearing running shoes.

Lately around here I've noticed a more combat-appropriate attire for police. More comfortable pants and shirts, velcro instead of leather, and more action-oriented shoes. But they still look very professional and neat. Is this a national trend? Sure makes sense.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey I just wanted to pat myself on the back there, I made an entire post about old timey police officers and Adam 12 and never once made a reference to Sheepdog.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Oh yea!
My 1st department was a pd and the chief there (former fbi) wanted the LAPD look. Including the bus driver hats, pr-24's, dark navy uniforms with brass, and shinny shoes. Don't remember what the uniform budget was but it was outragous.

Nowadays i think it is more practical and much cheaper to go the BDU route and the public is coming around to the new image. Nylon holsters, belts, etc are also much cheaper and easier on the budget than leather.

Especially with a lot of smaller departments that have a high turn-over rate mostly due to low pay, the uniform budget can really eat them up. Many have gone to having officers furnish their own gear (or a small clothing allounance) and that may as well come into the decision to allow BDU's and nylon gear.

Actually it is probably a conspiricy as the more money they can shave off the uniform budget, the more they can spend on the computer budget!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What does BDU stand for?

I think they make the officers look tougher and more ready for action.

·
Registered
704 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

What does BDU stand for?

I think they make the officers look tougher and more ready for action.
Battle Dress Uniform...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Bad Dude Uniform, whaddaya mean??? We wore light blue shirts and light blue HOT slacks with a racing stripe...and our choice of black footwear-Cowboy boots for me-they carried more...but for a hat, we had white helmet liners...with S P D on the front in black stick-on letters...and you could get in more trouble from City Hall for bailing out without it than forgetting your gun.....later we went to a 5-point hat...same deal---by that time I was salty and told 'em to stick it...only wore it at the station...I think the BDU is much more practical with good boots and a clear insignia so there can be NO DOUBT you da po--lice.....I ruined more than one pair of pants climbing tall buildings after short burglars....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts