Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Depends on what kind of hunting you are going to do. Here in the mountains or creek bottoms grown up in thick brush I like open sights. Where it is open I use a .06 with a scope.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think, because of the usable range on a 30-30 cartridge, 100-150 yards, this may become my "bush" rifle... And in keeping with the "cowboy" tradition the scope is coming off... Besides, I have my M77R MarkII .270 for long range duty... I'll decide tonight... now if these old eyes can focus up on that itty-bitty front sight... [8D]

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,346 Posts
You won't see a scope on my Mod 94. It's the only center fire rifle in my safe without optics. Partly because of "looks", partly because of intended function. I feel the same way about scoping a SA revolver.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Go-might try the Ashley XO Express sights-designed for snap shots at short range----big ball post and V rear....

·
Registered
336 Posts
My Model 94 has plain old iron sights and I like that look. Heck, it's a brush / cowboy gun anyhow. My vote is: no scope</u>

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,346 Posts
Now there's a pair to draw to!!! Much better, just the way they are intended to look.

What's all the dust on the Blackhawk's loading gate? Either your pictures are too good or you BH needs to be out in public more often.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

Some of us that are over 50 are getting blur'd vision with respects to the front sight linin up with the rear sight. So the other day, with respect to low light at the indoor shooting club, with its 50 yard underground tube.

On Sunday I took my Glenfield 30A, 30-30 and for those of you that don't know, a Glenfield made by Marlin BTW.

Anyways.... my son and I found that this 30-30 was a shootin to the right about 4" to 5" with a dead center hold. I did not have available tools to tap the front sight over. But for further range work, I scoped it with a Tasco that is fixed on its 3X and won't magnify up any more.

Now seein that it does shoot where its aimed at, I was very pleased. But your right, it don't look right with a scope a riden saddled on this lever gun. These leverguns were made to shoot bareback if ya know what I mean. :D

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I don't have any lever actions any more, but I sure miss them. I had Williams peep sights with the biggest aperture I could get on them. That worked pretty good for these old eyes and still looked pretty traditional.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I agree with rman about the peep sight or just use the irons.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'd agree with the guys...peep, which is neat w/the more open aperture or std. open. Sheepdog makes a good point about express sights, tho'...certainly worth lookin' into...

There's just sumpthin'about havin' a 30-30 around...

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
RNettles, it's all what YOU want. If you prefer optics, and can hit better with them, then leave them on.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Nice - looks like there is some pretty grain in the stock.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts