Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
I was just looking at this or just the fiber optic light pipe version. It's super cool that Ruger had the foresight to make the sights so easy to change. Huge selling point. :)

I'm watching for additional feedback.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've looked at that particular sight 3 times now (with each GP100 purchase) . Mainly because It's only another $15 more than the fiber optic model . It's been tempting. However, each time I've gone with the tried and true Hiviz Fiber Optic only. Mainly because I know my GP100's are all range guns and would never see personal/home defense duty. It's been my general experience with other pistols that a pure FO tends to be a little brighter and sharper for target work than the two colored night sight. ( I find the HiViz FO as good as any brand out there BTW) I like the ability to change color on the light pipes with the FO model as well. Maybe somebody who has bought and tried both will weigh in here. One thing is for sure. ANYTHING is going to be an improvement over the fat black ramp that comes standard on the GP,
Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was just looking at this or just the fiber optic light pipe version. It's super cool that Ruger had the foresight to make the sights so easy to change. Huge selling point. :)

I'm watching for additional feedback.
Yea, it really is. You need to spend the extra $ and buy a performance center or pro series revolver from SW in order to get this feature. Even then, it's not on every offering I just put my SW586 Classic up for sale largely due to the improved sight picture on the Ruger. ( Ok, I like the ( tuned )action of the GP100 better too ;-) )

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's a little wider than the stock front sight on my 1986 4in GP. Not much space between it and the rear notch .
A 6in may be better.

View attachment 172940
I ordered it today for $35 and supposed to arrive in a couple days. I've got 4" & 5" GPs I can try it on. I've already got the HiVis regular FOs. I'll give my thoughts on it after I try it out. If I don't like it, it won't take up much space in the box I keep holsters & grips and other experiments that didn't make the cut. It's a big box.:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've used the tritium/fiber optic sights and really like them. My Glock 19 currently wears them. Tritium isn't useful in daylight, fiber optic isn't useful when ambient light is too low, so it's kind of the best of both worlds for defensive sights.
Agreed. I use TruGlo TFO's on all 3 of my house/ "fighting" guns. They really can't be beat for being prepared to shoot in any light conditions. I will say though that the standard TFO gives a better /clearer sight picture in daylight than the ringed/two color TFX version. @stonebuster, we look forward to your review!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Amazon lost it. Maybe they should ship in a bigger package or try looking for it at night. Probably glowing in the back of the truck.:oops:
That's no bueno. They're pretty good about not losing stuff, in my experience, but they'll make it right somehow. Speak to their customer service chat, they've helped me a lot. Not shipping issues alone, but several issues that weren't even their fault.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's no bueno. They're pretty good about not losing stuff, in my experience, but they'll make it right somehow. Speak to their customer service chat, they've helped me a lot. Not shipping issues alone, but several issues that weren't even their fault.
Tracking said "it may be lost" but may still arrive & gave me the option of a refund. That's fair, stuff happens especially these days. I'll wait a bit more before I cancel. No hurry for it anyhow.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ordered on the 24th of July and it made it to Ct. on the 25th but never got delivered by Aug. 1st. After Amazon notified me "your package may be lost" I finally cancelled and supposed to get a refund.
FWIW, I've ordered 3 sets of the HiViz FO for the GP100's in the last 6 mos, All from Amazon. I usually get 1 or 2 day shipping. Might be worth a second look.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
FWIW, I've ordered 3 sets of the HiViz FO for the GP100's in the last 6 mos, All from Amazon. I usually get 1 or 2 day shipping. Might be worth a second look.
I ordered another from the same seller yesterday. I've never had Amazon lose anything before and I've been using Amazon for several years. Not a big deal. EDIT: It arrived tonight and fits tight with no wiggle like the other FO I've tried and pretty wide which fills the rear sight notch well. The white Tritium stands out well in the light and dimly lights the FO in the dark but without a tritium rear sight it's tough to aim. Dim light it's good. It stands a bit proud to the top strap but really not too bad. Looks better on the gun than the photos show and I like it. Next range trip will tell how well it works.
Brown Wood Amber Flooring Floor
Tin Cylinder Gas Nickel Auto part
Rectangle Automotive design Wood Gas Bumper

1 - 15 of 15 Posts