Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Sorry, but hopefully you all can relate to my having grown extremely weary about all this Ice Bucket stuff, or whatever it is. It's enough to turn me against charitable giving. As I've mentioned before, my favorite long-time charity to which I give regularly is the 2nd Harvest Food Bank, and not because of trendy games or because I'm coerced into it. By the time Social Media and all of media is completely saturated with the latest "Charity" drives, I'm already alienated by it. Please do not be offended if I have no clue about various strategies and videos that are part of this game and might have my name mentioned in them. I did not realize until this week that I probably should have made it clear that I am totally immune to these various social media games. I am hopeful that the Food Bank never participates in these Social Media, peer-pressure games; I'd rather not have to look for a different charity to support. My suggestion is, if you feel so inclined, that you quietly donate some money to ALS or breast cancer, but please do it because you WANTED to do it, not because of a great marketing idea launched on Facebook or YouTube.
He adds,
"And please don't take this the wrong way. I'm happy that these "games" seem to work and perhaps in some cases lots of people are helped, provided more than 5% of donations actually go to people in need and not administration. I might get ALS tomorrow, who knows! It's just that anything that is overdone tends to turn me off. I know it raises awareness. Just consider it a quirk in me or even a character flaw; I just can't help it; it's the way I am. "

Reactions: Highhawk1948

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Matthew 6 King James Version (KJV)

6 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

Reactions: Highhawk1948

·
Registered
860 Posts
He adds,
"And please don't take this the wrong way. I'm happy that these "games" seem to work and perhaps in some cases lots of people are helped, provided more than 5% of donations actually go to people in need and not administration. I might get ALS tomorrow, who knows! It's just that anything that is overdone tends to turn me off. I know it raises awareness. Just consider it a quirk in me or even a character flaw; I just can't help it; it's the way I am. "
I have the same quirk. And that's just the way I am.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Bravo to Hickok45.
I got challenged by two family members who are good people and I am sure think they are doing a good thing. Raising money for a good cause should be commended, but doing it to have people admire you for taking the challenge in my opinion is wrong. I say just give, do something good without saying look at me! I am waiting for this whole ice bucket thing to go away. But no doubt other charities will be added to the gimmick game and we will see many more of these videos. I just wish that all of these well meaning people would just quietly and humbly give to well deserving local causes. And turn to their neighbors in need with a helping hand.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Ask the Campbellsville, Kentucky firemen who were electrocuted while trying to help the
Campbellsville University marching band with the "Ice Bucket Challenge." They were using a ladder truck to douse the band and came in contact with some high power lines. Fortunately, none of the college band members were hurt, but last I heard one of the firemen was still in critical condition.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm with Hickok45 on this. I've already let everyone I know I do not participate in fads, however good the cause may be. Like Hickok45, I have my own charity I give to.

·
Banned
200 Posts
The original idea behind it was probably a bit nobel. It's turned into a damn circus and "nominating" people to "either/or" is just wrong.

As has been said by others, give of your own free will, not because someone socially coerced you into doing it.

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
Well I'll be darned. I'm not the only one. My poor, long suffering wife has been listening to me rant on this subject sayin' pretty much the same thing as ole Hickok.

And, M.B's excerpts from the verses in Matthew's Chapter 6 express far more eloquently than I the cause of my dismay.

It's, imo, shallow, feel good, look at me, self promoting, do it cause it's trendy, 15 seconds of fame, social media motivated giving. Not from the heart.

And, I won't even bother mentioning celebrities jumping on board cause their PR person told them it would look good and help their image.

Or, maybe I'm just a cranky old man. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm with Hickok on this. It's all about look-at-me-see-what-a-generous-person-I-am. There was a guy outside the grocery store today with a table set up collecting money for "Archers with Disabilities." Never heard of that one but when I saw the guy was severely disabled and just sitting there with a jar and smiling at people I couldn't resist dropping a dollar in the bucket. As for charities, the organized ones such as United Way skim lots of money off the top to pay "executives" who don't do much. I knew one United Way guy who was paid $150,000 a year and did nothing except go on Las Vegas junkets.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Lynch, that picture is priceless! :D

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Bravo to Hickok45.
I got challenged by two family members who are good people and I am sure think they are doing a good thing. Raising money for a good cause should be commended, but doing it to have people admire you for taking the challenge in my opinion is wrong. I say just give, do something good without saying look at me! I am waiting for this whole ice bucket thing to go away. But no doubt other charities will be added to the gimmick game and we will see many more of these videos. I just wish that all of these well meaning people would just quietly and humbly give to well deserving local causes. And turn to their neighbors in need with a helping hand.
Well said RSB.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Well I'll be darned. I'm not the only one. My poor, long suffering wife has been listening to me rant on this subject sayin' pretty much the same thing as ole Hickok.

And, M.B's excerpts from the verses in Matthew's Chapter 6 express far more eloquently than I the cause of my dismay.

It's, imo, shallow, feel good, look at me, self promoting, do it cause it's trendy, 15 seconds of fame, social media motivated giving. Not from the heart.

And, I won't even bother mentioning celebrities jumping on board cause their PR person told them it would look good and help their image.

Or, maybe I'm just a cranky old man. :rolleyes:
Same here. If you want to give, just give, no one has to know.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm against slacktivism, those stupid social media drives that makes everybody care about something for 5 whole minutes because they were misled. It never gets somebody to look deeper at the issue, it just makes them think that the world's problems are a lot simpler than they really are. Some people doing the ice bucket challenge are both dousing themselves with water and donating money. That's a little bit better. But if I get nominated, I'm not playing. All my charity money is already allocated.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Sounds like something I would write.

Just as an FYI, what I have read is that this was not started by anyone affiliated with raising funds for ALS but rather was started for the charity of your choice and when it began to go viral ALS happened to be the charity mentioned and they have since promoted it and have raised a lot more $ since the viral aspect of this began than in the same period a year ago.
Also, oringinally, it was donate OR dump the ice, but has since become both in most cases.

It is far better or more socially beneficial than most of the other inane stuff that goes viral.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I hear these people saying the same tired drivel about "raising awareness" that the AIDS walk or cancer ribbon people have been saying for years.

Sorry, "awareness" doesn't cure anyone or anything. It's a way for people to make themselves feel good without actually helping one damn bit. It's all BS. The reference to Matthew chapter 6 is absolutely correct.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
If I ever get close to a big bucket full of ice then you can guarantee that it is chock full of margaritas or beers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts