·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,412 Posts
Saw this earlier from his fb page too.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha! Crracer, you beat me to the punch by 3 minutes! Great minds think alike?
That's what they say! However, if you want yours to be great, don't lump it in the same category as mine;)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
He says what everybody else pretty much does.................Not a nickels worth of difference in the Ruger and the M&P Sport. Boils down to what you like. He liked the feel of the Ruger grip, I prefer the Sport. He thought the screw on delta ring was great (and it might be, if they didn't tend to lock up) and I don't care for it.............So bottom line, both good rifles for a good price

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Yup. Can't go wrong with either rifle. Win-win situation for AR buyers who want a good rifle at a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
23:56 says it all... :p
Don't get me wrong I love his video's and respect his opinion but he never said one is better then the other, just his preference . I think everyone on this forum can agree that both these AR's represent quality and value . I went with the Smith but I'm sure I would have been very happy with the Ruger .

·
Registered
242 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love his video's and respect his opinion but he never said one is better then the other, just his preference . I think everyone on this forum can agree that both these AR's represent quality and value . I went with the Smith but I'm sure I would have been very happy with the Ruger .
No need to play semantics, it was just a joke...

However, I don't recall a time when he has ever said something was better than another. I suppose that's just his review style as to not look biased...?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The only things he was definite about...........he thought the Ruger trigger was worse(what a surprise...lol) and he liked the "feel" of the Ruger grip better. Other than that, totally noncommittal as to which was better. Which is actually good..............no bad choice

·
Registered
242 Posts
Triggers are deal breakers in most cases. It says something overall about the AR556 that he still preferred it over the S&W...

I went shooting this past weekend with a co worker. He brought his LE6920 and we both agree that the triggers feel the same in my AR556 and his LE6920 but, and here's the big point... We both suck at shooting and we couldn't tell the difference between damn near anything lol

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
He's right about getting two more of the same and the next two the Ruger might have the better trigger versus the Sport. I don't know if a simple trigger cleaning would have helped, but I've seen several stock triggers, and they were all different. My Ruger was pretty decent. My M&P15A was the worst of the bunch, initially. It smoothed out over time, but was the hardest pull rate of the bunch. My Colt and AA were both better than the others.

I do like the threaded Delta ring, or the idea anyways. I'm not fond of it being plastic. He mentions when he's holding the Ruger, he feels like he's holding a bit more quality. I've never held a sport, but to me, my M&P15A feels a bit more heft (does this equal quality??) than my Ruger.

I made a comment on his video about being gutsie preferring one over the other, I couldn't find my comment later, assume it was deleted;) Edit: I see my comment is there today...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I do like the threaded Delta ring, or the idea anyways. I'm not fond of it being plastic
+9701824768961478640921360921376042139

I kinda caught it with my ball peen hammer when I was having to push the front takedown pin (yeah, it's still tight as ****) in and it chipped it a bit :(

·
Registered
440 Posts
Triggers are deal breakers in most cases. It says something overall about the AR556 that he still preferred it over the S&W...

I went shooting this past weekend with a co worker. He brought his LE6920 and we both agree that the triggers feel the same in my AR556 and his LE6920 but, and here's the big point... We both suck at shooting and we couldn't tell the difference between damn near anything lol
Mil-spec triggers in an AR are not deal breakers... Maybe in a bench rifle or a hunting rifle where tuned triggers are the norm, but not in an AR-15. It is supposed to have the crappy GI type trigger.

Mil spec triggers vary from rifle to rifle as well. But overall, S&W has a reputation for having the best of the crappy mil-spec triggers.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
+9701824768961478640921360921376042139

I kinda caught it with my ball peen hammer when I was having to push the front takedown pin (yeah, it's still tight as ****) in and it chipped it a bit :(
You not using a pin punch??? My front pin is still pretty tight. Once in awhile I can thumb it flush, but still can't pull it rest of the way up. It's the only AR I have that's like this, but it's also the tightest AR as far as slop between the upper and lower, as in this one has none. My boy's bushmasters are probably as tight as the Ruger. My Adams arms, Colt and M&P all have a fair amount of slop, with the Colt having the most.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You not using a pin punch??? My front pin is still pretty tight. Once in awhile I can thumb it flush, but still can't pull it rest of the way up. It's the only AR I have that's like this, but it's also the tightest AR as far as slop between the upper and lower, as in this one has none. My boy's bushmasters are probably as tight as the Ruger. My Adams arms, Colt and M&P all have a fair amount of slop, with the Colt having the most.
I was going back in with the pin. Using anything on the rounded end slides off... Unless there's a tool I don't know about lol

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I dunno, the M&P trigger might be a good crappy mil spec trigger, but it's not a "gritty two-stage trigger" like the one on the Ruger. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts