Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been digging through old boxes that have been stored in the garage attic, looking for reloading parts and pieces. I found one today that I had forgotten all about. Are any of you old enough to have started loading with a Lyman Tong Tool? I found mine, complete with a .243 Win die set. Man! That was doing it the hard way.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Wonder how the old cowboys did it? Shells may not have been expensive, but often rare...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I used a ram rod, patch and a ball.... No, seriously I had a rockchuck jr., .38 spec. dies, oil pad, powder measure and scale.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Wonder how the old cowboys did it? Shells may not have been expensive, but often rare...
I believe they used a tool very similar to the tong tool.

·
Registered
557 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rman

I've been digging through old boxes that have been stored in the garage attic, looking for reloading parts and pieces. I found one today that I had forgotten all about. Are any of you old enough to have started loading with a Lyman Tong Tool? I found mine, complete with a .243 Win die set. Man! That was doing it the hard way.
I started loading on a Lyman 310 tong tool. That Rock Chucker sure looked good when I bought it, and fast too. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I too started with a tong tool and graduated to a Herters single stage, loaded many 220 swift loads on both.

And the assesment about the tong tool being used by cowpokes and the buffalo hunters was correct. They also had a tong type tool for making bullets over the campfire.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by Baldy

You guys must be older than dirt. I started with a SDB Dillon. YA got to drink the blue coolaid. 10-4.
Well I can't speak for the others, but the word dirt does come to mind in my case. I'm probably also dumber than a box a rocks to have spent all that time loading on the tong tool. To tell you the truth though, I made up some pretty accurate .243 Win loads on that thing. All I had was the tong tool, a powder funnel and an Ohaus power scale. I also loaded a few .38 Spec on it, but that soon became just too darn much work. Bought me a state of the art, high tech RCBS Rockchucker and never looked back!
(By the way Baldy, I don't think you're that young. You just got started late in life!):D:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kansas45

What's a tong tool?[?]
A tong tool is a reloading press thats built like a pliers. You can go to Lymans site and see a picture. It's under the "dies" section.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I started on a tru-line junior!

·
Registered
953 Posts
And the assesment about the tong tool being used by cowpokes and the buffalo hunters was correct. They also had a tong type tool for making bullets over the campfire.
Some early tong tools were caliber-specific and incorporated a casting die block for casting bullets; the single tool served for both casting bullets and reloading the cartridge.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Nuttin' wrong with hand tools. I have a Lyman 310 for .44 Special. I also have 5 Lee Loaders. It all depends on what you want to do. Whenever I feel "retro" or don't want to set-up a press I'll grab a Lee Loader and hammer out a box or two of ammo, which is just as safe, accurate, and reliable as any I can assemble on my Lee Turret or C-H single stage.

I'm not sure (cause I weren't there) but I believe the Lyman tong tool is one of the first tools available to home reloaders.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have one of the first Lee hand operated priming tools. Primers were inserted by hand one at a time, and the shell holders screwed in. Also have the shell holders for everything I loaded at the time.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I used both the the Lyman and Lee setups back in the day and I grin when guys think they NEED a progressive.
I admit I got one for shot shells but several years of about 2k rounds a month is just too much fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts