Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a Ruger BX-10 or 20 for the 77/.357? Would be a damn awesome little brother to the GSR! Or a .223 GSR thats the size of the 77/357 that takes AR mags. Please , please!

·
Banned
181 Posts
I used to want higher capacity mags for my 77/357 as well. However, the more I've handled it and shot it, I think the 5 round flush seating mags are perfect. As soon as Ruger decides to finally release the export version of the gunsite scout domestically, I'll be snapping one up and a couple of the nice flusher fitting 5 round polymer mags.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I kinda liked the factory 10 round mags I use on my Mini-30 and would like something about that size for my new 77/44. A box mag with a fast release would be a nice modification.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I think a staggered box magazine for the 77/357 and 77/44 would be a great idea. 10 rounds would be perfect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Extended 77/44 mag

I have recently spoken to a friend who is an engineer and gunsmith
And said if there was a market he would look into producing one would there be a market in the US as I know there is in Australia

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am very interested in a 10-15 round mag for the 77/357. I was going to prototype one myself. Does anyone have plans made they would like to share? I was thinking a hybrid Ruger/PMAG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but this is something I'd like to see also. I'd be all over a ten round mag for the 77/357. I love that little rifle and a mag that holds 5 more rounds would be icing on an already sweet cake.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
If money is no object a machinist could make you one but I bet it would be a few hundred dollars but what if you wanted 25 made.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I just want a 5 round mag that works for my 77/357.
Works?

What is it not doing?

I saw the 77/357 in the new products listing a day or two after it hit the internet. When my 77/357 came home, the magazine would not feed properly on the 3rd/4th round. Not entirely handy.

I took it apart, and polished the ends of the follower with 1000grit Emory, and removed the flashing and burrs from the inside of the housing. I also buffed the metal feed ramp with a Dremel. It has worked perfectly ever since. I also ordered 4 more spares when they became available, and none of the new magazines had the same problems. The same approach will cure magazines that won't work properly with the tension screw snugged so it isn't loose, a problem I had with a couple 77/44 magazines.

·
Registered
544 Posts
How about a Ruger BX-10 or 20 for the 77/.357? Would be a damn awesome little brother to the GSR! Or a .223 GSR thats the size of the 77/357 that takes AR mags. Please , please!
You no doubt know about Mossberg's great little MVP in .223, which is exactly what you described, including the AR mags. I am with all you guys about how good the Ruger 77 series guns are. I don't own one, but am always in the market. One thing to consider about the long mags that always bothers me is, they are in the way in any kind of prone-position shooting. Ten rounds are about the limit, there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would buy 10 rounders. I finally got to shoot mine the other day and it is a lot of fun to shoot. The magazine worked fine with 357 or 38 spec, but I had done just a little bit of filing at the front end.

It was pretty cold, and the factory mag was very difficult to remove when empty. At room temperature, it will start to fall out a little where you can grab it and pull the rest of the way, but it was pretty hard in the cold. Not enough weight to drop free. An extended round magazine would aid greatly.

·
Registered
824 Posts
They'd have to solve the problem associated with feeding rimmed cartridges through a higher capacity magazine. Probably why they went with the rotary magazine in the first place.

I work through the low round count magazine issue buy using extra magazines. It's not perfect but I can load up several magazines at once and shoot for a while before having to stop and repeat the process.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I pulled a nice shot off a fallen tree last hunting season. A bigger mag would have been hindering although the option of high cap mags would be nice. I am 1 for 2 on mags that work and that is my only complaint with the 77/357.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts