Ruger Forum banner

high-paying service jobs

617 views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  guardjim 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about how a lot of the higher paying manufacturing jobs have gone overseas and more lower paying service jobs have become the norm. So to get our economy back on track I would like to see these two changes:

1. All service jobs like cashiers, maids, and janitors immediately go to a starting wage of $20 an hour with more experienced workers in these fields makeing up to $60 an hour.

2. All current high paying manufacturing jobs all go to minumum wage with little chance of advanment.

I believe these two simple changes are all our country needs.:)

Don't go minefield on the replies and any replies with a punchline gets extra points.

#5 ·
This is all tongue in cheek.

If you have 100,000 jobs that pay $80,000 a year and 900,000 jobs that pays $15,000 a year that is a grand total of $22.5 billion. But if you have 100,000 jobs that pay $15,000 and 900,000 that pays $80,00 that's a grand total of $73.5 billion.

#7 ·
So if I have it correct you want me to either take a no skill required service job and make more money or continue using my skills to actually producing something at my factory job and adding economic value to my community and live in poverty. Because in your senario goods would become so prohibitivly expensive not even the top earners could afford them. Now may I inquire as to which university you graduated from for logic such as this can only come from one of our finest institutes of higher learning.

#11 ·
I do understand the "tongue in cheek" of it and how ridiculous the proposal sounds but in the current enviroment I am also feeling closer to Bastiat. How utterly ridiculous state funded welfare and a minimum wage sounded in 19th century France must have sounded.

#12 ·
I'm worth more than they pay me..... ;)

#20 ·
Strick9 I am not an auto or any other classic "assembly line" worker or union for that matter. I build high KVa electrical transformers, the coil assembly to be precise. When I am not winding those I am welding the tanks they go in for I am after all a certified welder. Eerlier in life I was a grocery store manager so I do know a little about the skill level of those in the retail service industry. And by the way bakers, mechanics, and most cnstruction jobs are called SKILLED jobs not to be confused with counter help or stock clerks in the retail world.

#24 ·
hlr270, Thank you for the detailed job description, your job sounds really important, but there was no offense meant. I wasn't refering to your skill level specifically since I didn't know what you did. I was just making reference to auto workers I do know and what their mindset is. I too have worked in both the retail and auto industry and was just making compairison to what I know about some jobs in both areas. Maybe I misunderstood your generalization about service workers, there is more to it than just counter help and stocking. While you and I may consider a baker a skilled position, there are many that would not, including most of my union pals!! Was just playing along with the OP's original thought. Sorry if I offended you!!

#25 ·
High Paid Service and Low Paid Manufacturing

Why is it that when we talk about "Low paid service jobs" and "High paid manufacturing jobs," we always seem to forget than many manufacturing jobs, as low-skilled, are often very low (i.e. minimum wage) paid assembly-type jobs, and the highest paid jobs in this country are service jobs? :rolleyes:

#26 ·
Why is it that when we talk about "Low paid service jobs" and "High paid manufacturing jobs," we always seem to forget than many manufacturing jobs, as low-skilled, are often very low (i.e. minimum wage) paid assembly-type jobs, and the highest paid jobs in this country are service jobs? :rolleyes:
Can you give us an example of the high paying service jobs?

#27 ·
It's been my experience that if a factory pays well, it's not because of the skill required, but because of the horrible working conditions. They have to pay that much to keep employees.

#28 ·
There is a tire plant in my area. The main production area exceeds 100 degrees in the winter. They have to rotate which machines are hottest to keep it bearable. Pay is great, though.

#29 ·
I've been thinking about how a lot of the higher paying manufacturing jobs have gone overseas and more lower paying service jobs have become the norm. So to get our economy back on track I would like to see these two changes:

1. All service jobs like cashiers, maids, and janitors immediately go to a starting wage of $20 an hour with more experienced workers in these fields makeing up to $60 an hour.

2. All current high paying manufacturing jobs all go to minumum wage with little chance of advanment.

I believe these two simple changes are all our country needs.

Don't go minefield on the replies and any replies with a punchline gets extra points.

#34 ·
I'm still trying to figure this thread out, but I'm all in favor of bus drivers making $60k a year.....:D

#35 ·
Your scenerio may just yet become partially fact if the afl-cio succeeds in organizing fast food workers. Now will you be willing to pay $15 for a big mac or $20 for a latte at Starbucks

#46 ·
All the politicians should get minimum wage and no retirement or benifits. The current batch have already stolen enough from us to live like royalty for the rest of their lives and it will give future pols something to think about. Are you in it to get rich or to serve the people who elect you?
I won't hold my breath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.