Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired a interesting old gun. Researching the sn it was made in the late 60's. Anyone have any experience with high standard pistols? Anything I should know before taking it to the range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I had two Hi Standard target pistols. Very Accurate and reliable. The company lost its customer base when Bullseye shooting went on the wane 40 years ago.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Very nice! I had a similar pistol years ago, wish I had not traded it off. Pistol will likely be very ammo sensitive. Take the time to find what it likes and prepare to be surprised at what is possible for accuracy.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have the 106 Citation (Basically same gun). Very accurate!!! Best trigger ever!!!! I was told to shoot only standard velocity through it. Enjoy yours.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
My son inherited a Supermatic S-101 from his wife's grandfather who was a Navy Officer, that he lets me keep in my safe until he gets one. (I get to shoot it also.) it has a single military marking "M"'on the left side of the receiver. It is also ported and has grooves under the barrel for weights.

I inquired about the Pistol on Rimfire Central and included a link below. I was advised to shoot Standard Velocity to make sure the older pistol would be subjected to less possible wear than High Velocity. It is a sweet shooter. I don't know if the grandfather shot Bullseye or was on a pistol team.

Welcome to Culver's Shooting Page

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I've shot a few of them, and they are very nice pistols. I have also heard it repeated to only feed them standard velocity .22LR.

I don't have a Hi Standard .22, but I do have its big sister, the short lived G380 (.380 ACP).

·
Registered
13 Posts
HI All,

I own one of the last 106's made and have owned it since new. A late 60 107 would make it one of the early ones. It is every bit the equal of the Smith 41. High Standard was known for the quality of it's barrels. It was what made them so desirable.

The big problem was the steel used in the frames. If you use other than standard vel ammo and don't replace the recoil spring every 8 to 10 thousand rounds you run the risk of cracking the frame. My recommendation is that if you don't know the history of the pistol, have the recoil spring replaced. If you feel like it, it is a fairly simple job if you have the right punches.

On the positive side, I had a nice compliment on my shooting this week with mine. It is more the pistol than this half blind old man.

Bob

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Very nice! I grew up shooting my dads!

·
Registered
373 Posts
000_0142.JPG I bought my High Standard Sharpshooter back in the mid 1970's. It was the lowest priced target grade pistol they made. I think I paid $108.00 for it brand new.
I have fired thousands of rounds through that pistol in both practice and competition.
I was able a few times to even shoot 300 in NRA gallery match competition using standard velocity $7 per brick ammo.

Like I said I had the cheapest model. Your pistol is a much higher end.
IMO I think you have one of the finest target pistols made. Definitely a keeper.

Best, Bill

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
My first pistol was a High Standard Supermatic Citation. I paid $300 for it back 1981. I still have it and will pass it on to my son one day. :)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Fantastic!

·
Registered
947 Posts
The High Standards were always nice pistols. I'd love to have one in my stable some day....Great find!...;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts