Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been seeing some fair deals on several used high standard pump shotguns. Wood furniture and decent blueing on plain barrels and a steel action. The actions on these things are very slick--almost as slick as an ithaca--also noticed they have one action bar like an ithaca as well.

Anyone with much experience on these high standard pumps? Thinkin' about getting one and cuttin' down the barrel to make it a riot gun as a gift. Nothing fancy so i ain't interested in accessories.

any known glareing weakness i should know about like extractor or firing pin problems?

·
Registered
708 Posts
as you are well aware of they have been "discontinued" for MANY years, , mid to late 70's (1977 or so), ,,,,,the draw back is the trigger 'group' on most of their models have two "tabs" ( ears" that fit up into and lock the forward portion into the receiver.......these tabs have been known to "break off" that was one of the "problems back in the 'LE" days...yes, they can be "cross drilled & tapped" to lock them in, but not the best thing to have to do........so keep this in mind,and unless you can get it "really cheap" there are too many other GOOD, current stuff out there.................
by the way, for the short barrel .pump 'LE' guns, with the LONG tubes,( hi caps) the barrel lugs up front have been known to "shear off" too.........

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
appreciate the reply.
I've already passed on the high standard.
Did not know of that weakness and do appreciate the information for future reference.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I currently have a Sears shotgun made by High Standard in my possesion. It is my uncles and is useless because one of the tabs have seazed up the action.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts