Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do Ruger pistols reliably work with standard velocity ammo? And by "work" are we talking more jams than high velocity, but still tends to function?

I've only used high velocity, largely because it seems every bulk pack made is high velocity.

Though I gather slower is more accurate, since one will never see match grade ammo that is anything other than standard velocity.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In my MK II, I can expect a stovepipe once about every 60-80 rounds with CCI or Federal standard velocity. And, I see that pretty regularly with others who use them at our club for Bullseye. YMMV

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
A high velocity round goes supersonic out of a rifle barrel, rated about 1280 fps. The "crack" you hear is the bullet breaking the sound barrier, and that upsets the accuracy a bit.

Standard velocity is around 250 feet per second slower, from a rifle, just under supersonic, or what they call subsonic.

You lose a few hundred fps with a handgun length barrel, so it makes little difference then.

With a little less recoil, I suspect standard velocity increases the odds of a jam, but may be such a small increase you'd never notice. I just run HV in my Mark III.

·
Registered
144 Posts
They work just fine in my MKIII with no feeding issues.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My Hunter eats everything. The only time I get a FTE is when it is absolutely filthy. Most reliable gun I own. My Hunter is a bit more accurate with the SV.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
When i owned a ruger 22 semi I used exclusively high speed. I never formally target shot in matches so high speed was fine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just bought a Mark!!!. I,m sure you guy know this but Ruger says to use HV. What I used today was the Federal 36 gr jacketed HV and I was very happy with the accuracy & just 2 FTFs in 150 rounds.

The Dog
Sempre Fi

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a mkIII target and competition. When I first started to shoot them HV worked the best. As they broke in I found I was able to use lower velocity and get excellant results. Both have all the Valq parts and fire flawlessly. I shoot bullseye competiton with CCI target and greentag for competitions.
Rhyno

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have 3 MKIIs and they all will run SV just fine. One of them I've bought new and didn't need to loosen up to run SV. In all 3 I get better accuracy with SV than I do with HV. The only time I shoot HV is if I'm just plinking and shooting bulk packs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts