Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The target version mini 14 is nice.
A 6.8 spc mini is great.

Why don't ruger build and put out something that will compete with the ar-15. Compete as in sales.

A ruger mini 14 with a factory folder, 20 rd factory hi-caps, maybe an inexpensive weaver or Pictanny (no spell check) rail attachment for the built-in ring bases(cheaper than brownells offering) to allow a broad range of optics,etc.

Make it Johnny Cash black and keep the price well under an AR-15. I bet they would out-sell the target version and the factory 6.8 easily which i view as a nich market.

Yes the AR is more accurate compared to a std mini 14 but the mini will sell in this format and will sell alot as a fatory offered item without directly competing with itself.

Ruger needs to get over being shy and compete and survive in today's market. If they do this right, Ruger could get more of the market.

Calling it a hillary heartbreak special? Asking too much there.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yup, they could put 2-300 on the price and give me that...I'd much rather pay Ruger than Colt or a clone...I just love the M14 style...I don't think it's smart for them to make a real high-priced target Mini when the standards aren't up to date...they'd sell ten times as many as the target model if they'd make 'em like you/we want...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
It all boils down to the fact that Ruger does not want to be perceived as selling assault rifles. They used to sell the factory folding stocks for the Mini, as well as high capacity mags, until all the screaming and yelling about assault rifles started. Then they backed off selling the above mentioned items to nobody but law enforcement. Doubt if that will change.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably political correctness.
Ruger may not want to be perceived as in the AW business.
Problem is, they are going to be perceived as a great dinasour on its last leg. Nothing Earth-shaking from R&D, just the same old same in a different look or caliber. If thats what they like, then dress up the mini.
They need to get in the game and market to the demand. If the mini is their format---fine, just offer it in the right configuration. Offer those fine ruger factory 10 and 20 rd mags for it and not at $40.00 a lick.
Ruger needs to get into the ccw market as well. I will echo the words i've heard before. Something besides the sp101. A compact p-series or a new compact design all together.
Time to rattle the cage.
Been said that Ruger can not or won't compete in the LE market. Quite apparent from the mini disapearing and the AR emerging. Get that tactical rail on it to make it a flat top so to speak with co-witnessed sights. Heck, some depts may choose the ruger to to get away from the image of the black rifle for PR.

Ruger has not had a large share of the LE market for handguns. Don't seem interested in going after it. Well, the public certainly pays attention to what the police are carrying. Best advertising in the world. If the police are trusting the M&P's, or the glocks---then that must be a good way to go for home defense and ccw. There are bound to be more glocks in civilian hands than LE hands (my guess)and seeing glocks constantly on the hip of officers advertises what is trusted---and carries over at least to alot of entry level buyers.

The hunting market seems to be getting smaller every year. I like the 77mkII and want a No. 1. Fewer people getting into it though. But alot more people go the the range to shoot/plink/defense practice than hunters go to sight in rifles for hunting.
Hate to say it but i feel that we hunters are a dying breed. The ccw crowd/home defense is where the growth potential is. Bottom line--stay competative or die in the market place.

Ruger needs to realize that the 2A is not about hunting.

Of course i am not educated in the ways of a huge business or huge marketing so i may be totally stupid on this subject.

Sorry about the rant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I like things the way they are.

Even with their 'bad' barrels... mini-14s and 30s shoot better than me. With a little work you can make one a '1950's assault rifle'... the only real advantage to an AR as I understand it is you can change out so many different things on it once you have the reciever... including the BARREL. But then who cares... in the long run if a rifle will hit something, say the size of a football at 100 yards, then what more do you need.

As long as folks keep talking the mini's down, the prices for used ones will stay reasonalble.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What i fear is if sales keep dropping, the mini my be dropped all-together. Then the opposite may happen.

·
Registered
576 Posts
deputy...a Mini or Ranch Rifle is one of THE most sought after trades that I want to receive. They go away instantly. I wish too that Ruger wanted more of the LE market. Our sheriff's dept. has them in their trunks.

Blume you are right on the ease of changing things on an AR. The gas thingy on a Mini can be intimidating to some that want to change a stock from wood to synthetic or a folder.

I stock only Ranch Rifles because of the "better" twist in the barrel for more accuracy. If someone does not want the rings, I can always get rid of them...and I am in no hurry to do that. I can use them on Redhawks and other guns that need the same sized rings. I have guys that have two or three sets of rings for the same gun with different scopes mounted in the different rings.

I like Minis and Ranch Rifles. I love to get nice ones in trade...especially stainless. I wish Ruger could have produced the XGI in .308 cal. When I was at Fort Hood, TX for basic and AIT in '66, I was trained on a M-14. I liked it. I shot an AR full auto in AIT; it was a hoot! But I ended up in Germany with another M-14 and a 1911 .45ACP in my cryptofacility, so I was never issued a M-16.

deputy is right on the money...what the public sees law enforcement carrying is what THEY buy. Glocks prevail. I stock 17 new Glocks at all times, big, medium and baby. I stock very few Ruger P series. They are great pistols, but they do not sell nearly as well as Glock pistols for me...Rugers are MORE dependable, in my opinion, but they are too big...now we have the Springfield XDs, Kahrs, etc.

Ruger needs to make smaller pistols in 9, 40 and 45 and as deputy says, Ruger needs to "promote" the Mini. It is more affordable than an AR. Kind of like buying $35,000 and $45,000 pickups...most of the guys that have them cannot afford them. If you have to finance it, you don't need it. If your buddy has an AR, you HAVE to have one too. A Mini or Ranch Rifle is all they really need. As Blume said, if a Mini can hit a football (or a 4" circle) at 100 yards, that's good enough for most use. Around here, most of the guys are hunting coyotes with ARs or Minis. A challenge is a jackrabbit running full speed and you shooting at it "without" the sights. You can't see them up in the iron sights or in a scope, so you might as well shoot 'em from the hip...or "point shoot" them. It's a blast! You can also see well beyond of what you are shooting, so it is safer too. Minis are NOT for prairie dogging, but they were not intended to be.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Ruger could do a lot more and wouldn't cost them much to do it either. There is large market for concealed carry. Also improvement of the Mini 14. Those two feilds there alone would make Ruger aq much bigger stronger company. I will say this Ruger is by no means in trouble of very being sold to another company. I for that I am glad, and I buy many more Rugers than I do any other fire arm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts