Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you wear a strongside hip holster directly on the side, straddling the belt loop that's exactly on the side? Or with both points of the holster behind that beltloop.

Like, if you're looking down on me from above and my belt buckle is 12:00. Do you wear that holster at 3:00? Or is it behind the 3:00 beltloop at about 4:00?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Go with what works for you and your body mechanics. Only you know what feels natural when you practice drawing. You might have to make adaptions for what you're wearing if you are carrying concealed.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I go at 9-but I'm lefty---I don't do as well with my gun behind my hip especially if seated-if I ever(seldom) wear a coat and keep it on so I can wear a belt holster, I like a forward cant on the hip and wear a loose coat...the key for me is a holster that holds the butt flat against my side-the cant helps that...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I'm probably the odd man out. I am a lefty and carry iwb at 8:00p--butt forward calvary style.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Now sheepdog...lighten up. Easy boy. deputy is our buddy. I think everyone carries the way they are most comfortable and that has also to do with how each of us is built.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'm a lefty, too, Ron and I was just a'horsin' around about the Cavalry[}:)]

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
:)Well there are a few folks out there that might consider me to be a horse's a**:).

No offense taken, i figured it was just funnin!:D

It has more to do with being a lefty than anything else.
Back in the day, there were a lot more RH holsters out there than LH holsters. Being a poor boy + the difficulty in finding LH leather back when, there seemed to be a good supply of used RH holsters on the market. Bought an iwb RH holster(for off duty)cheap and wore it on the left side and it just seemed to work out well with this cavalry style. Just sort of stayed with it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'd fight you for the horse's a** button...but I'd have to trade in my OOF button to get it..and I'm keepin' that one!!!!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I wear two holsters and I have them on my hips. Everyone that knows me knoews I am a lefty. But they don't know thsat I wear two guns. My holsters are from Don Humes I like work man ship and the feel of the holsters. I carry an auto withe revolver back up. That is just when I am out and about sorta thing. If I have to dress up, the I take th charter arms in a pocket holster. Its not my favorite but it will do in a pinch, since I don't dress up that mess I do ok.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Strange things happen when you're lefty---like paying $5.00 more for left hand in the 70s and waiting 30 days, like "making" your own out of a right hander, and carrying it every which way to make it work....long as it hits the fist when it hits the fan...no biggie...but talk about discrimination...it's some better now but lots of makers won't make but a few models lefty...so we end up carrying (and riding) strange ways...;) By the way, Ron, if you don't have an old cardboard box with used lefty holsters in it under the counter, you could be a discriminating shopkeeper....they'll sell...someday...

·
Registered
302 Posts
I find this an interesting subject. Haven't found much on how to conceal as easy some of you make it seem.

Being skinny makes it hard to hide one on the side or the hip. Almost takes something like a smart carry conceal for me.

tk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Many like to wear on strong side at around 3 or 4 0clock, but because of driving and a quicker draw, I find between 9 and 10 0clock cross draw faster than strong side carry.

I found by sitting in my car the true test on belt carry, and while hunting as well with my 2" revolver.

·
Banned
298 Posts
quote:Originally posted by deputy125

I'm probably the odd man out. I am a lefty and carry iwb at 8:00p--butt forward calvary style.
Same situation, I am more at 7.

·
Registered
129 Posts
For me: Strong side 4 Oclock. The weapon/holster melts comfortably into the small of the back directly behind the hipbone for maximum concealment...a slight cant forward allows easy access to the grip...but then, I like sport coats/Hawaiian Shirts. Since I only drive a car or sit 2% of my waking day, I would rather purchase a vehicle holster and transfer the weapon rather than accomodate the weapon to my driving/sitting comfort. There are times when another way of carrying would be appropriate for the occassion. Problem is, we are creatures of habit and training...so, one really should carry/practice drawing the same way as much as possible. Personally, I would select the particular weapon of the day...and dress accordingly.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
dawgfvr.........you got room for a gun back there????? My love handles kinda go that far and I couldn't get a pocket comb in there---I gotta lay off the pie...tomorrow....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
quote:Originally posted by tkarter

Being skinny makes it hard to hide one on the side or the hip. Almost takes something like a smart carry conceal for me.

tk
If you need some advice on not being skinny, email me. I will put you on my meat, cheese, beer and chips diet and you will be able to squish a P95 in just about anywhere without a holster. Kinda like the inside of a foam gun case.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dawgfvr, you mentioned a 'vehicle holster.' Do you mean a holster you just keep in the vehicle? Or does someone make a holster that you can secure to the car interior for easy access??

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.