Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am back in the market for what I call a "Snap-N-Go" CCW (something I can tuck IWB and go). While the PSHX645S will still be my main CCW, I would like to get something lighter, and preferably the ability to carry a few more rounds.

I am looking for something lightweight, 9mm or .40 and under $600. So far I'm really considering the HK P2000SK or Glock 26/27. Too bad Ruger doesn't make a subcompact...

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
You might consider the Kel-Tec PF-9. It is a single stack 9mm, double-action only, and has a nice light trigger pull. Accuracy is good for a small carry piece. It's roughly the size of a 2" J-Frame S&W, but is quite a bit thinner - .88" as opposed to 1.25". I have one and I'm very pleased with it. I paid $249 for it NIB.
Weight unloaded (No magazine) 12.7 oz
Loaded Magazine 4.2 oz
Length 5.85"
Height 4.3"
Width .88"
Barrel Length 3.1"
Capacity 7 + 1 rounds

They also make a P-11 which is a double-stack 9mm.
Weight unloaded 14 oz
Loaded magazine 6 oz
Length 5.6"
Height 4.3"
Width 1"
Barrel Length 3.1"
Capacity 10 + 1 rounds

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Keith,
I am not familiar with the HK model you are referring to, but I personally would not feel comfortable (read safe) carrying any Glock inside the waistband. I like Glocks but from a safety
standpoint I think they need to be carried on the outside of the belt in a very stiff holster.I
used to carry a S&W CS45 inside the waistband but it had a more regular double action only trigger.(not quite as light a trigger as the Glock) On the other hand the Glock would be good
if the IWB holster was really hard and stiff.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jaredshs,
What makes a Glock IWB more hazardous than any other DA Auto? Is it the 5.5lb trigger pull of a Glock? Is there a manual safety lever on a Glock?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If I weren't going to go with a P-series, I'd go Sig P239---I would not own a Glock-know too much about the accidents that can happen with them-fear and being flustered multiply that weak point. I might try the Kahr .45-but I prefer to carry the P-series size...hide well and you don't give up anything....

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

Kieth, I have owned many Glocks and never had an AD from the following ones G-37, G-22 (duty weapon) G-27 (back up), G-17 and G-19. Many who do not, or never have owned Glocks have this fear of an AD because of the Safe Action trigger system that Glock has on all their models.

All of the above at one time or another were carried IWB without a holster. I had a clip draw for the G-27 and I always carried all of them with a round in the chamber. The key to not having a AD with a Glock is making sure that you keep your finger off the trigger IE the safety in the center of said trigger must be depressed before the whole trigger can be depressed to engage firing said Glock.

I highly recomend Glock, because of the Tennifer finnish that prevents rust from body and other wetness. If I needed a combat type of duty or conceal carry firearm I would want a Glock again for the reasons above. From the first Glock 17 introduction to the US Market I carried a Glock up until 2005 when I left law enforcement work.

I switched to carrying a Taurus 2" .44 mag/spl because I like it for town and trail carry, but I worry about rust because its blue, and does not have an anti rust finish.

At one time I thought about getting a Kel-Tec either in the .40 or the 9mm but, the trigger pull out of the box is 9 pounds [xx(] no thank you, and these do rust as well.

I can not comment on an HK simply because I have always thought they were over priced, and always stuck with a handgun that did not have all the bells and whistles. Again, if I were working deep cover I would without a doubt purchase another Glock.

Just an opinion given freely at no charge :D

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks JB,
I just got back from my gun dealer with a Glock 27. I decided on the 27 to tryout the .40. I'll upload pics tonight, as I am currently at work.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Keith,
My comment about the GLOCK is based on remembering two accounts of individuals,both law enforcement types, that had accidental discharges trying to re holster their weapons--don't
remember any details, but apparantly something touched the trigger when it went into the
holster.(could of been their finger? who knows?)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

quote:Originally posted by jaredshs

Keith,
My comment about the GLOCK is based on remembering two accounts of individuals,both law enforcement types, that had accidental discharges trying to re holster their weapons--don't
remember any details, but apparantly something touched the trigger when it went into the
holster.(could of been their finger? who knows?)
I remember reading about a couple of those as well, simple answer is keep your finger off the trigger. When you draw, trigger finger is pointing down barrel. When you re-holster, trigger finger is pointing down the barrel. Some people get in a hurry, and if it is an officer or deputy with a Glock that has an AD or worse yet DEA Agent in Class room that says, and I quote "I am the only one here with the training to handle a Glock" His Glock 23 discharged making a nice hole in his leg. But its these kind of stories that make a black eye for the entire Glock handgun.

Keith with your G-27 you will be able to make golf ball size groups at 15 feet no problemo....

Keith did you get a mag loader with your G-27? Do you have a holster for it?

The nice thing is that now, you can get after market barrels for the G-33 (.357 Sig) and G-26 (9mm)

I'm gonna see if I can find some Karma items [8D]

Just curious :D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My reasons for getting rid of my Glock 22 were not the thought of accidental discharge upon re-holstering--it was the 3-year-old girl killed here because her officer Daddy's gun fell off the piano and the gun went off when it hit the floor-and the few policemen who've had ADs on dropping it-one caught the 9mm round in the chub---too easy for a shirt or something to hang on the trigger to carry without a holster-we've got enough sopranos in the world...don't trust them...now-best finish? Reliable? Indestructable? For sure-if they had a grip safety like the XD, I'd probably still have one. Keith-enjoy your M27---carefully.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I realize when a round is in the chamber, it's lock-and-cocked and doesn't have a safety. To be on the safe side, I am not going to carry a round in the chamber because of this. I am not in LE, so I won't need to draw the gun regularly, and if I do, I can chamber a round then.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JB, yes I received a mag loader with my G27 (I bought it new). I don't have a holster yet, but there is a few I have my eye on. The dealer says, the only barrel I can possibly get to change the caliber is one that will let me shoot 357sig, and he's never heard of converting it to any other.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Keith,all I can say is WOW! Beautiful. Hard to understand why Ruger dosen't jump in on
the compact semi auto market isn't it? Thanks for showing her off.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I like the size and weight of the mini Glocks. This guy weighs in at 19oz (about a beer and a half) dry and 25oz wet. The Ruger P944 (Ruger synthetic grip .40) comes in at 34oz and close to 40oz wet.

I am now looking for 2 Pierce grip extenders (an attachment on the mag to add a pinky rest), a grip plug and a IWB leather holster.

Don't get my wrong, I would probably trade it in for a Ruger Sub Compact. :)

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I registered yesterday, and went to log in today, and they banned my IP address... very friendly group over there...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

quote:Originally posted by Keith Smith

I registered yesterday, and went to log in today, and they banned my IP address... very friendly group over there...
Keith, I think its just a snaffoo with the IP address. I sent Eric an e-mail as I have been a member since WAY back, I just haven't posted there in a bit.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks good. There is a large firearm shop just up the road, Ill see if they have them, and if so, Ill pick one up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts