Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am having some trouble with my SP101. I think it may be off to Ruger again. :( I am having problems with cases sticking on extraction. These pics are from some mild .357 rounds. They were TenX ammo 158 grain fmj in Starline cases. I do not believe they were loaded all that hot. Recoil was mild compared to other loads I fired in it. It is mid range stuff. I shot 50 of them. They were all the same.

It seems to be tight right at the mouth of the chamber and it is shaving brass off when I reinsert the spent brass after extraction so they are going back in just as tight as they are coming out. Once the spent brass is inserted all they way back into the chamber they are not tight at all and they spin freely in the chamber. Each chamber is a little different but they are all tight on extraction. I tried multiple brands of new factory ammo and they all drop in fine and eject fine when unfired but once they are fired they are all a little sticky on extraction. Some are down right hard to eject requiring a really firm whack on the rod which is hard enough for me to worry about the rod. When reinserting the spent brass some start sticking 1/3 of the way down the case and some start sticking 2/3 of the way down the case. None of the spent brass sticks once they are inserted all the way in and spin freely in the chamber.

This was new and never fired.
This has never fired a .38 special.
This was cleaned before the first shot.
I did not fire any reloads in it, only new ammo.
I cannot feel a bur on the chamber mouth but it is a sharpish edge.
I have a bucket of mixed brass fired from my GP100 and all that is tight in the SP101 as well. I realize the GP100 may have looser cylinders but I did try a ton of brass I have around the house which was all fired in different guns and it is all tight in the SP101. Some of the spent brass from other guns is so tight I am afraid to push it all the way in.

It is scraping the brass at the innermost part of each chamber mouth closest to the rod. You can see brass shavings in the pics were it is happening. The spent brass in the pics was put in and taken out multiple times which is why there are multiple marks/scrapes on it. It only makes one mark under normal extraction. The marks on this piece of brass are shorter than many of them as this one actually comes in and out a little easier than some others. On average the marks on the other spent cases are about twice as long as this one has.

Do I send this in or have a smith hone and chamfer these chambers?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ruger does include warnings and disclaimers in the Instruction Manual about using reloaded ammo in their guns. Since you are not having the problem with new factory ammo, but only with reloads, I can only guess that the used brass his expanded too much and is causing the sticky extraction problem. If you tell Ruger what is happening with the reloads versus new factory ammo, I don't know if they will bring it back or not. However, given their great customer service, they will probably try to do something for you.

BTW, I am not a reloader, so I have no first hand experience on reloading problems. However, the expansion of used brass cases only seems logical. I would guess that the quality of the brass plays a role in the expansion issue as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ammo fired was not a reload. It was new factory ammunition. I plan on shooting my reloads in it but for the first trip out I shot only factory ammo. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. The piece of brass in the pic is a once fired piece of brass.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just purchased a SP101 yesterday, took it to the range today and shoot some 357 mag reloads thru it. I am having the same issue with the sticky extraction as well. The same ammunition fired in my NMBH extract easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts