Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came from the range Saturday with the skin scraped off the knuckle of the middle finger of my shooting hand. Strange, never had that happen before. Had it whacked a few times by a Bisley with heavy loads, but never skinned. What happened?

Soon realized the cause. I had been practicing double taps (I hate that expression!) with my Blackhawks, a .44 Special and a .45 Colt. This drill was to put two shots into the 2" stick-on at 7 1/2 yards in quick succession, also to put a shot into two stick-ons at the same distance. I had run through some two hundred rounds when my knuckle began to get touchy.

It was not from recoil, but from the rapid cocking as the trigger guard scraped by my knuckle. During this practice, I did not have my little finger under the gun butt, but rather around the front strap.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not enough shooters do the pinkie tuck and get their middle knuckle slammed. Maybe this habit comes from using the semi pistol hold on a single action. Easy to get caught with a higher hold to reach the hammer quicker. I got in the habit of an offhand hammer cock and never had any of my Super Blackhawks rap my knuckle.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Had a similar problem with a Bisley. But the Bisley would also whack my finger. Did some measuring and realized the Bisley has the smallest space between trigger guard and fore strap, even less than the XR3!

For a large grip the size of the Bisley, I switched to the SBH Hunter with round guard.

Pretty obvious in this comparison of the increased difference (~3/16”) in horizontal finger distance behind the trigger guard on the Hunter (and standard XR3-RED size Gripframe), compared to the Bisley grip with less space. The Hunter and Bisley GFs I’ve measured are actually identical in vertical forestrap length space for fingers to the butt as the Bisley. The Bisley is longer on the backstrap which I think is why some may prefer it:

Dustin Linebaugh Custom Conversions - Gallery

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably not fully understanding this.

In my case, I was doing some rapid firing with my Ruger Blackhawk. When I fired, I cocked the hammer for the second shot as I pulled the gun back down from recoil. I sort of braced the gun with the knuckle of my middle finger as I cocked the gun, then it sort of slid past the trigger guard and I prepared to fire off th second shot. Went through about 200 rounds this way and wore a blister on that knuckle.

Did I make that clear? Maybe try it yourself and you'll see what I mean.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I've never had that problem with my 44s Bisley & old model Super Blackhawk, just with the Blackhawk 41mag and 45colt and only with hotter loads.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never had that problem with my 44s Bisley & old model Super Blackhawk, just with the Blackhawk 41mag and 45colt and only with hotter loads.
This has nothing to do with heavy loads nor recoil. What I experienced was from cocking the gun with the shooting hand only.

What I'm trying to express is that when single handedly cocking the gun, I brace the knuckle of my shooting hand against the back of the trigger guard.

I was shooting two shots very rapidly, and expended about 200 rounds. I can't explain it any better than this. Try rapid cocking in duelist style shooting and maybe you'll see what I mean.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
This has nothing to do with heavy loads nor recoil. What I experienced was from cocking the gun with the shooting hand only.

What I'm trying to express is that when single handedly cocking the gun, I brace the knuckle of my shooting hand against the back of the trigger guard.

I was shooting two shots very rapidly, and expended about 200 rounds. I can't explain it any better than this. Try rapid cocking in duelist style shooting and maybe you'll see what I mean.

Bob Wright
Yeah I got what you meant. You'll definitely not want to try it with heavy loads.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts