Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reloading for a couple of years now but still consider myself a novice. I reload 38/357, 9mm and 45acp. I have tried several different powders and am currently using Clays. It burns pretty clean and I have read that it is low flash. I've been using it for my 38spl. range loads but plan on using it for 9 and 45acp also. I have been thinking of using it for self defense loads as well. Does this sound okay or is it asking too much from one powder when there are so many choices. Would something else be better for each caliber and intended use? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I like Clays too. I use it for target loads in 38 and 357. It makes some very accurate rounds.
For heavy 9mm loads I use AA #7 or Power Pistol. For 45ACP I use AA #5.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
My fav all around is Winchester 231. It gives me all the things you are seeing now, plus it is on about every page (pistol section) of the reloading manual.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My fav all around is Winchester 231. It gives me all the things you are seeing now, plus it is on about every page (pistol section) of the reloading manual.
Thanks, stargeezer. I thought I had some but just checked and it's WSF. Anybody tried this?
If so what do you think of it compared to 231 or Clays for the purpose I've mentioned?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've been using it for my 38spl. range loads but plan on using it for 9 and 45acp also. I have been thinking of using it for self defense loads as well.

I like Clays for all of the reasons you have stated. I use Clays in .38 spcl .45acp, 12 and 20 gage shotshells. As a retire LEO, I can tell you that using reloads for self defense is a sure way to get sued. Any lawyer worth his salt will rake you over the coals. He will assert that you used handloads because factory ammo isn't powferul enough, to suit you, so you made your own, because you wanted to kill someone. If you use factory ammo for serious social work, you take that arguement away from them. I have told my wife that if she ever has to shoot someone, continue firing until you run out of ammo. A woman will get away with that because all she has to say, when questioned about why she shot so many times, is to say she was sfraid for her own live and that of her children. Besdies, if done correctly, there will only be one side to the story......Robin

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
70 Posts
I too am somewhat of a novice, having started loading about 3 years ago.
As I'm sure you know, there's a sh*t load of powders that have already been tested. Personally, I always considered 'Clays' to be more of a shotgun powder (hence the name), but I see it as an option for several calibers and boolite weights.
If we ever get back to normal times when shelves aren't bare, I'll buy a pound or two.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Clays, is a clean burning powder, but it is very touchy; starting loads and maximum loads are within less than a grain of each other. And if you see that maximum loads is below the maximum pressure of the cartridge and think that you can go a couple of tenths more - you could be wrong. When you read Iowegean's recommended article you will learn that smokeless powder burns cleanest above 16,000psi and Clays will reach that pressure very quickly. I use this powder in ICORE shooting, which has a low Power Factor. I can shoot a couple hundred rounds without worrying about fouling. Clays is a good powder, but one where you need to stay within the published data.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts