Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Hodgons Universal fans out there? I have been looking for a powder that meters better than Unique. I loaded some 44mag 200 gr Missouri bullets but they seem to sting up and down. These are not hot loads 6.8 gr for start. They shoot very clean and it meters much better than Unique with smaller loads. Not looking for killer loads just nice solid plinkers. I plan on using it for 45ACP and 44 SPL .maybe 45 Colt if it pans out.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I use Universal in just about all my handgun calibers. The only thing I have noticed about it, was that if the pressure gets too low, it seems to burn unevenly and dirtier than normal. At higher pressure levels, it seems to burn more even and cleaner.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am a fan of Universal, but I only load 44 mag. I use a Missouri 240 RNFP with 6.5 gr. charge. Nice load, easy shooting, have not noticed any unburned flakes. It meters very well in my RCBS powder meas.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. I think I will keep my 200 gr bullets loads and stick with 6gr of Trailboss. This makes a real nice plinker load. I will try a 240gr bullet and see how things go. I have a new SSBlackhawk with 4-5/8" barrel and it is sure fun to shoot. I am not into the hard magnum loads, just good solid shooting rounds.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I think I will keep my 200 gr bullets loads and stick with 6gr of Trailboss.
Can't argue with that approach. TB is purpose designed for that sort of shooting. Try a box of the Hornady 180gr Cowboy bullets, the combination is in a class with ketchup and burgers.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
My .44 powder is Unique/Universal. I use them interchangeably. Universal is a good medium power powder just like Unique. Works well in other calibers too, but I have other favorites that I have been using for .45 Colt, .45 ACP, and .357 .

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I tried some 240gr SWC and 6.5 gr. of Universal and had a 2" group at 25yrds. That's not too bad for me. I'll keep my Unique and use them both. The heavier bullet helped alot. Sure is fun doing this stuff. Next project is learning how to cast my own bullets. Thanks for all the replys.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Universal is a favorite of mine. It is very versatile and burns very clean with less "flash" than many powders... It even has less flash than commercial ammo that claims to be "low flash" with flash reducing stuff in the powder. Universal was less perceivable flash.
The only criticism I have for Universal is that it is NOT as easy to load as other powder types. It is easier than Blue Dot or Green Dot, but not nearly as consistent as Titegroup or AA#7, or #9. ONE HAND says the RCBS measure works well with it... That might be worth checking out!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replys. Today I loaded 50 rnds with 6.2 gr Unique and 240 gr cast SWC. Just about the same load as with Universal. I was surprised at how similar the results were. Both good powders for nice firm plinker loads. The 240 gr bullet sure works well with the 4-5/8" barrel. I must say the SSBlackhawk is really a very impressive revolver from Ruger. Nice appearance, smooth trigger pull and very accurate. It my first 4-5/8" barrel and I can see why they are so popular. Thanks to all. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
249 Posts
weldernewt53, You mention the 4-5/8" SBH, last week I swapped the XR3-RED frame out and installed the Dragoon frame, I like the bigger grip frame. For grips I have the Hogue Cowboy Action, real nice feel.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I was surprised at how similar the results were.
Yep.

Here is a 'sample' for .44Mag (6 1/2" barrel) from my records

7.5g Unique, 240g SWC, 956fps
7.5g Universal,240g SWC, 946fps

8.0g Unique, 240g SWC, 998fps
8.0g Universal,240g SWC, 1001fps

8.5g Unique, 240g SWC, 1053fps
8.5g Universal,240g SWC, 1056fps

You'll find similar results in other calibers.

Here is .357 (6 1/2" barrel) for example

6.0g Unique, 158g SWC, 1082fps
6.0g Universal, 158g SWC, 1096fps

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Onehandgunner The grip frame slightly larger and works well compared to my older Blackhawk. I like the Houge style Cowboy Action grips too. They seem to have a little more width which makes for a nice feel. The rosewood grips that came with it are really nice. To rclarck thanks for all your info, someday I hope to own a chrono. This kind of info helps a lot when trying to find the right combo of bullet and powder. I'll get some pics lined up and post. Thanks to all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts