Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A walk into the trails and I may run into one of them. What sidearm would you carry? Also what do you think about the 10mm glock?

·
Administrator
22,148 Posts
Marxman I presume you meant bear and not beer in the title so I changed it.

A 4" Redhawk in 44 Mag or 45 Colt will do the job nicely.

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
IMO 10mm is an excellent choice for defense against hogs, gators and Florida sized bears. I'd probably opt for one of the Redhawks TerryP suggested but only for subjective reasons because the Glock 20 will work well for your intended use.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Marxman I presume you meant bear and not beer in the title so I changed it.

A 4" Redhawk in 44 Mag or 45 Colt will do the job nicely.

I dunno, maybe he was afraid of running into one of those high-potency beers in the woods. Believe me, I've seen lots of people seriously messed up by encounters with that kind of beer.

On a more serious note, I would feel comfortable defending myself against feral hogs with a 10mm, but I think it would be marginal against the local (Oregon) black bears and completely inadequate against any brown/grizzly bears I might encounter. We don't have too many alligators here, so I don't know how tough they are to kill.

Jim

·
Registered
301 Posts
Gators are not hard to kill if you hit them right, But being as U are going to be all pumped up and your heart going 100 mph, U might want one of the big boys.

NOW that said, I have killed hogs with my Colt Delta Elite with no problem when I lived in FL . SAD was the day when I had to sell it.

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
.357 magnum, .45 Colt, 45 acp, .44 magnum would be one of my choices. Which ever handgun in these calibers you shoot well.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I have an Alaskan in .454 Casull/.45 Colt...which is a more than formidable weapon against all three (3) of the above mentioned creatures you may encounter as you walk the trails. After hiding with it for 3 days in the Smokey Mountains over Labor Day weekend...I've opted for a Glock 29 10mm for hiking for pretty much anything east of the Mississippi and south of the Mason-Dixon line. My Alaskan will be reserved for West camping/hiking west of the Mississippi and north of the Mexican/US border as the encounterable creatures out there are larger than those elsewhere!

One nice thing...if you so choose a Glock 29, Lone Wolf Distributors makes a 6.02" extended barrel for it, improving accuracy and velocity:
Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - LWD Barrel M/29 10MM 6.02" Length - $94.95

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I dunno, maybe he was afraid of running into one of those high-potency beers in the woods. Believe me, I've seen lots of people seriously messed up by encounters with that kind of beer.

On a more serious note, I would feel comfortable defending myself against feral hogs with a 10mm, but I think it would be marginal against the local (Oregon) black bears and completely inadequate against any brown/grizzly bears I might encounter. We don't have too many alligators here, so I don't know how tough they are to kill. Jim
It's not the high-potency beer that one has to worry about...it's the manufacturers of said beer!

·
Administrator
22,148 Posts

Jim
When I was a lot younger I had some transformative experiences primarily on the behavioral end that involved beer. None are looked back on with affection. ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
A walk into the trails and I may run into one of them

Not like hunting, in your case you are talking about possibly being surprised
at close range. In that case your starting out behind the curve.

Carry the biggest gun you can shoot accurately under pressure, --( A lot of pressure )--

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
the G20 is a reasonable choice. I used to take two handguns when I vacationed the coast of Lake Superior. a semi auto for two legged predators, and a Redhawk 44 mag in case a black bear wanted to eat a grandchild.
now the G20 is a one size fits all vacation pistol.
it is actually not the pistol itself that has impressed me, the caliber is quite versatile. not as final as a direct hit from a bazooka, but much easier to conceal.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I once had to kill a very aggressive alligator, and six rounds from a 6" Ruger Security 6, did the job. BTW, dead gators don't float. I don't know how many rounds it took to dispatch the beast but I used all of them, hand loaded with 158 grain, LSWCC, over 17grains of H110. Under the same circumstances now, I would use my 5", .44 magnum Ruger Vaquero, loaded with 300 grain Speer SP bullets over H110. I believe that load would discourage pesky bears too. Some people think that because Florida's white tails are smaller than those from the northern states that their bears would be smaller too, but this is not the case. Florida's bears do not hibernate, they eat all year long, and are among the largest bears found.......robin

·
Registered
304 Posts
A .357 would be fine.
A .44mag......45colt........
I load them all so I am comfortable with either of them.
All will do the job well, it just depends which you use best.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,942 Posts
I'm in total agreement with ozo above. I currently am or recently have used all three as trail gun calibers. All three offer various power levels allowing great versatility.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
.44Mag.

·
Registered
649 Posts
A .357 with hard cast bullets will do. The .44 mag would be extra insurance in big bear country.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Since the OP is from Florida, AND since he's asking about hog, bear, and gator defense - implying that all 3 are possible - it's pretty safe to assume that he's not talking about huge bears.

A 10mm, 45acp, 357mag, 40S&W, 45colt, you pick it, will be fine for black bear/hog/gators. Black bears in florida don't tend to go that big, and don't tend to be aggressive anyway, so not many folks ever really need to carry anything at all for florida bruins. Gators aren't that hard to kill, nor are hogs.

I carry a 44mag on my hip, but not because I think I need that much punch - I'm a 44mag guy, so I carry 44mags (or 454's). You're not talking about huge animals here, and you're not likely to have a negative encounter with the largest of the 3 anyway, so there's no reason to plan for a heavy magnum defensive revolver that would be suitable for 800-1000lb grizzly.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
10mm glock is a good choice, but you can always get a 45 acp glock and buy a 10mm barrel to use in it. That way you get one gun that shoots 2 calibers. Actually it'll shoot 3 calibers because you can shoot 40 S&W in the 10mm barrel too. If you want a wheel gun then any of the magnum calibers would be fine. The semi auto glock has more capacity and faster reloads though. The aspect of being able to convert a 45 acp glock into 10mm doesn't work the other way around though. You can't turn a 10mm glock into a 45 acp. It only works to convert a 45 acp glock into 10mm/40S&W. Being able to shoot 3 calibers from one gun adds a lot of versatility. You can use the 45 acp as a good carry caliber, the 40S&W as a good low cost practice caliber and the 10mm as the woods caliber.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts