Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for information on hog hunting in PA ... not a guided hunt. I've been told in North Central PA. Does anyone know if there is a good place to hog hunting PA?
Thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
No truly wild and free pigs on the north side. There are imported wild pigs captured down south and brought up to game farms. I got one at Tioga to check my shooting and load first handgun kill. I won't bother doing it again.

I heard the southwest corner has a few stray wild ones wandering in, but very rare. Lucky if you see one deer hunting.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I hear Williamsport is having problems with them. Fun as they are to hunt, importing them is a bad, bad idea. I'll let you know if I see any next week up in Luzerne Co. on State Game Lands.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
When I used to live in PA a friend of mine used to go to somewhere near Pottsville to hunt them. I used to live in the Shamokin/Mt. Carmel area .

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
I've heard there are wild hogs (escapees from a hunting preserve and their progeny) in the Friendsville, Pa. area. That is southeast of Binghamton, NY. A friend of mine shot some there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We havent seen any of them in my part of NYS as of yet.? But they are destructive.? so the folks here do not want to see any of them loose in my area.? I myself if controlled would love to Hunt them.? Iv'e tasted them Years ago.? when a friend shot one on a preserve.? Taste just like store bought Pork to me.?

·
Administrator
23,524 Posts
The meat has a mild flavor and wild have much less fat than farm raised. My advice is if you encounter them in the wild shoot everyone you see whether you eat them or not. The sows will have two litters a year and the sows in the litter will be ready to breed in 6-8 months. They are destructive and multiply like rabbits.

·
Reloading Addict
10,713 Posts
I live 45 mins. west of the Tioga preserve. Once in awhile you hear rumors of some escaping but not of anyone shooting an escapee. I'm sure there would be some running around because they breed like rabbits. I've never seen or heard of any in these parts. Only that they are encroaching in the extreme southern part of Pa.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Been to Tioga Boar Farm myself a few years back. Did not know there were pigs in Pa. outside of the game farm. I will say I had a great time there and easily scored a Black Russian. Worth it to do once in my opinion.

·
Registered
370 Posts
IIRC, they were having a problem with them in Bedford county. Some years ago the Game Commission stopped hunting in order to try and deal with them (trap?). I think it is once again open season on them there. They are invasive and would like to eradicate them

·
Registered
64 Posts
IIRC, they were having a problem with them in Bedford county. Some years ago the Game Commission stopped hunting in order to try and deal with them (trap?). I think it is once again open season on them there. They are invasive and would like to eradicate them
WOW! from that part of the state,if they can adapt to PA winters.They could spread all over the state.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
My TIOGA PA hog taken years ago was a big one thinking more meat in the freezer,But we could not cook that hog enough or crock pot him after many hours it was so tough we gave the rear quarter to our rottweiler who actually broke a tooth on it ! Next hag I took was in Florida cecial webb in punta gorda fl it was about 80 lbs and the most tender and sweetest hog ever to eat,That one I took with the bow,the first with a 357 magnum. JMO/MDT

·
Registered
64 Posts
My TIOGA PA hog taken years ago was a big one thinking more meat in the freezer,But we could not cook that hog enough or crock pot him after many hours it was so tough we gave the rear quarter to our rottweiler who actually broke a tooth on it ! Next hag I took was in Florida cecial webb in punta gorda fl it was about 80 lbs and the most tender and sweetest hog ever to eat,That one I took with the bow,the first with a 357 magnum. JMO/MDT
I`m really looking forward to it. We sent our deposit in , now it`s just wait time. Can`t wait to taste the meat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
postjr

Come on down to Texas, my friend. The smallest estimate I have seen of the number of wild pigs in this state is 2.5 million. From what I hear the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept.
says use any and all means necessary to kill them (If you plan to use a nuke clear it
with the Pentagon first....)

Good luck,

Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
They are tasty if you don't eat the big boars. My ranch in Texas is overloaded with pigs, in fact I have very few deer on the game cameras, they have taken over the ranch. Good thing we don’t grow anything or run livestock, they will tear up land rooting around. It’ nothing to see 30-40 at the feeders on any given day (Texas you can hunt over a feeder). The nice thing is there is no season, about every two weeks or so I'll get the urge I’ll go out to the ranch to get a few. I prefer the small ones like the one in the second picture. Some of the larger boars I just throw them in the gut pile they have too much testosterone to be any good to eat. There is a saying among Texas land owners, “There are ranches with hogs and ranches that soon will have hogs” if they are in PA it won’t be long before they spread. A sow can have two litters a year up to 11 piglets and they can breed at six to eight months old. Pigs like to feed at night, I put up solar lights around one feeder where I have a tripod stand set up at 30 yards, they are super easy to pick off.
The last pic of the sow my buddy shot two days ago; I didn’t go hunting this week end, we’ve been getting a lot of rain and I just didn’t want to fuss with the rain and the mud.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.