Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of "strumming" the stock wood grip on my Security Six, and I got a Hogue monogrip. I can't say I like the look, but it feels great - can't wait to get it out and shoot it.
It's an Iowa Sheriff's commemorative piece. Unfortunately, the new grip covers up the sheriff star.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got a 150 serial number Security Six with the square bottom grips. I want to get different grips, but it was passed down from my Grandpa so I wanted to keep it original as possible. I like the look that commemorative edition Security Six!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have a set of those, I stuck them in the freezer and then when frozen, knocked the sharp edges off the back strap with a file. At least they felt better after that, if not still butt ugly. I took them off the gun (6" Security Six) and put them in my grip pile in case I come across a beater that needs grips someday.

Also have the Nylon version, I like them a little better.

When it comes to Hogues, I don't like the models with the square frame exposed backstrap, they never seem to fit right. However I love them on my Speed Six.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I put Hogues on my SS that I keep loaded in my living room. You're absolutely correct, they are not the most beautiful things I've ever put on a gun but then this gun is all about function.

I also have them on my 4" GP100 that I use sometimes as my CCW. They make a huge difference when shooting that gun too. If you shoot a GP on a consistent basis I would strongly consider them over stock grips.

My other revolvers all have their original wood grips but then I have them for fun only.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the new non-FG Hogue rubbers that just came out for the GP100, much better for me than the standard FG grips that seem made for a 7'2" man:)

For the Six, for utility my go-to is the Pachmayr Presentation, although my "house gun" Security Six 6" wears Pachmayr Gripper Pros,the ones with the open backtrap...... some of the best I've found for the Six series. They have all the feel and utility of the Hogues but look a LOT better, as well as a more "solid" feel.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I got a Security six about four years ago and replaced the wood grips with the mono grip. Even thought the stock wood (target type) were fine, because of having arthritis in my hands, I found I got a better grip with the mono's.:D

Gettin' old is a pain!:eek:

·
Registered
71 Posts
The wife and I both wanted Hogues on our pair of six's. We put em on , felt great , but did not shoot as well as with the original wood. Into the grip pile they go !

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah, just got back from to the range after putting 50 rounds of .357 M, and a load of .38S +P thru it. It feels like a different gun! I could shoot it on hand, target style and the grip was solid. Single action, one hand was practically unworkable with the wood grips, but not now. The only minus was putting it IWB to drive to the range, the larger, stickier grip was not comfortable . But this is not a carry piece, so no problem.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Oh yeah, just got back from to the range after putting 50 rounds of .357 M, and a load of .38S +P thru it. It feels like a different gun! I could shoot it on hand, target style and the grip was solid. Single action, one hand was practically unworkable with the wood grips, but not now. The only minus was putting it IWB to drive to the range, the larger, stickier grip was not comfortable . But this is not a carry piece, so no problem.
TOWD YA!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts