Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beautiful Mini 14 581 series tactical with a Circassian walnut stock. For fun, I swapped out my walnut stock with my son's Hogue overmolded stock and I swear my groups got smaller. I want to go back to the range and swap stocks while there to actually see if it's my imagination, but I was wondering if anybody else noticed an improvement in accuracy when using the Hogue stock.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'll bet if you bed your walnut stock your groupa will also get smaller. I've heard both sides of he Hogue over molded. Some say yes and others say no. kwg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have to look into that. The Hogue stock seems to shoot better and feel great, but man that walnut definitely has "the look". :)

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Just a thought here, I understand the look thing, but if your goal is a purty wall hanger, go for it the wood. If your goal is hitting the target bulls-eye every time, YOUR shooting COMFORT is the most important thing. Consistent hold on the weapon is much, much more important for consistent hits.

I personally don't care what my target gun looks like to someone else, as long as I put holes in the X ring, every time, I'm happy.

I forgot to add, I use overmolded furniture sets on my target guns.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just a thought here, I understand the look thing, but if your goal is a purty wall hanger, go for it the wood. If your goal is hitting the target bulls-eye every time, YOUR shooting COMFORT is the most important thing. Consistent hold on the weapon is much, much more important for consistent hits.

I personally don't care what my target gun looks like to someone else, as long as I put holes in the X ring, every time, I'm happy.

I forgot to add, I use overmolded furniture sets on my target guns.
Honestly, I don't think of my Mini as a target rifle. I have other, highly accurate rifles for that. To me the aesthetics of this rifle are important (not for anybody's pleasure, but my own), but I do want it to be fairly accurate. If I could get the accuracy I need by bedding the walnut stock, that may be worth it to me. The stock isn't a standard wood stock, but a very nice Circassian walnut.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I recently bought a Hogue overmolded stock for m mini...I got it in the Ghillie green, I know! what was I thinking! Should hae gotten the basic black stock.

Anyway, a couple of quick observations, the stock is easy to install, and the action drops in no problems. I bought a forend insert/cap assembly which also installed easily, but you can swap over the insert and cap assembly from the factory wood/synthetic stock.

The rubber overmold has a pebbled texture in the grip area that is nice. The rubber and texture provide a very positive non slip grip surface.

The length of pull is a bit longer than the factory and that changes the feel of the rifle when shouldered. That may or may not be an improvement, I think it is.

After shooting the mini with the Hogue stocks, I can't say my groups were any smaller than the ones I shot with the birch stock. Handling was more positive and comfortable.

Over all I like the Hogue mini 14 aftermarket stock, just wished I'd gotten one in black. I ordered the stock online and the description was Ghillie green (OD green).

So I'm thinking Ghillie is a shade of olive drab. What I got was a shade of OD green with flecks of earthtones. Kinda looks like green linolieum, So now you know...in case you decide do buy one in Ghillie green...ah well...lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts