Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning (it's 07:30 am here)

I am relatively new to "big" guns. Since I was 11 or 12y old I shot .22 in competition (only single-shot pistols) and I shoot air rifles/pistols since I was a little kid.
This August I turned 19 and was thinking, what I could get myself for the birthday. Well, the past few years my interest in firearms grew more and more, and what did I get myself:
A Ruger SR1911. Now I got about 1400rds through it (mostly Sellier&Bellot and about 200 Federal), never had an issue. It is on my side all the time when at home (no carry license here in Switzerland :mad:).
Just yesterday I ordered a set of VZ Grips (FRAG Grips, Olive) for the gun, I don't like the original grips that much.

The other things I do in my free time: I like to ride my motorcycle (KTM 690 SMC) on the weekdays. On every saturday afternoon I go to the scouts, where I am the head/leader of our group (about 40ppl and ~10 "guides"). The scout-hobby takes much time to plan these afternoons and camps, but it's always fun when you do something with the participants. It's well worth the amount of planning-time and I think it's a hobby where you learn things for life!
When I am not outdoors doing something, I am mostly on my computer. I like gaming (Battlefield 3 at the moment), I play shooters since I am 11y old. But by far the most time-consuming "hobby" is Youtube, because I am very information-hungry (on Youtube many hours per day).

I'm looking forward to the end of this week, because of 2 things: My grips hopefully will arrive then AND I go to the gun store and get my swiss K31 rifle (only about 150 swiss francs, in very good condition :p).

Have a nice day :)
Robin

P.S. English isn't my native language, I speak swiss-german. So don't chop my head off if something is written in the wrong way :cool:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
I will be visiting your country in the next few years.
Your 7.30 am was my 6.00 pm (EADST).

·
Registered
947 Posts
Welcome to the forum from South Central Pennsylvania. Don't worry about your English, you did great! Sounds like you enjoy 2 of my passions also...Guns and Motorcycles. I've been collecting guns for35+ years, and I ride a 2010 Victory Vegas LE. It has a 106 cubic inch motor (1731cc) V-twin with a six speed trans. That model bike was only made one year and there were only 100 bikes made...very rare. We have some great people on this forum who are willing to help...Enjoy!

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Willkommen aus dem schönen Innenstadt von Springfield, mein Freund!
Ich spreche fast kein Deutsch, aber "Google Translate" war sehr hilfreich!
Genießen Sie Ihre Zeit hier sind die Mitglieder des Forums fantastisch!

·
The Shooterologist
3,992 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana......

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Welcome to the group. We hope you will share stories of your adventures in your country, as well as learn a bit about the USA from the discussions here. I am sure you are aware that this group has many varied thoughts and opinions about many subjects, in addition to a lot of knowledge about firearms.

I have made several friends here in these forums, and hope you will find a good social experience also. As I am 70 years of age and have lost a good amount of my 'Sense of Balance', my motorcycle riding days are over...but as many here I sure enjoyed the freedom of the road for many years. Here is a photo taken in the late 1990's of me on my 1100cc Honda Magna. I loved that motorcycle and it took me across the U S A twice during our years together.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum Robin

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Welcome from the "Mountain State" of West Virginia"

A very warm welcome to the forum Robin and it is great to have you. We always like to know what it is like concerning firearms and citizens in other parts of the world.

Your English is great!!

PS: your time is only 4 hours ahead of mine here in the eastern US, but we will go off of DST in a few weeks, then it will be 5 hours difference. Do you have DST there?

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Georgia, USA!

This is a great place for sharin' ideas & information, learnin' new stuff and hanging out with some very fine folks.

Congrats on your SR1911! I love mine, had it about three weeks and still can't put it down! :D

Your english is very good! I was in your country a few years back for a couple of days in Bern...beautiful city, nice folks...wish I could of stayed longer.

Anyway glad you could join us, Enjoy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
PS: your time is only 4 hours ahead of mine here in the eastern US, but we will go off of DST in a few weeks, then it will be 5 hours difference. Do you have DST there?
I don't know what DST is, but our next time switch is on the 28. october (switch to winter time), then it takes 1 hour away (yeah, we can sleep 1 hour more :cool:).

chanaski said:
Ich spreche fast kein Deutsch, aber "Google Translate" war sehr hilfreich!
Oh, Google Translate once did a good job in translating full sentences :p Some years ago when I was at school, we used it to translate german sentences into english. Google Translate always {edited for language} the words up and the teachers gave us bad marks :D

Got go now, can't always hang around in the forums while at work :eek:

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
jogelboy ... Welcome from SW Ohio & congrats on your new SR1911 ... Glad to have you aboard but please watch your language!

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
From southwest Florida, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new SR1911 and K31.

It appears you're living an active and happy life in your magnificently, beautiful country.

One of my best vacations, was flying into Zurich with my wife, renting a car, and with only a rough outline of areas we wanted to see and towns we wanted to visit, touring Switzerland, eastern Austria and a bit of southern Germany. In 2 ½ weeks we traveled over 3000 kilometers. (This was a couple of years before you were born. :D) Ever since that trip I try to travel to faraway places where I can drive through mountain passes on narrow 2 lane roads with S curves and switchbacks. :) :)

As I recall, at that time, every male citizen had to serve 8 years in the Swiss Army Reserve with 2 weeks active training every year. AND, they were required to keep their army issued rifle in their home. I assume those days are long gone???

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Robin...welcome to RF.net...this is a great site and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here!

My father's great-grandfather is from Switzerland! My dad & mom were back over there in 2001...met up with a few of the distant family members...and spent the night in dad's great-grandfather's childhood home, which the remaining family still owns and occupies! My father thoroughly enjoyed his time there, connecting with distant family members, and seeing his heritage first-hand!

Great to have you on board!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.