Votes: 47 48.0%
  • I avoid any holiday committments

Votes: 16 16.3%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you look forward to the holidays ? Or do you look forward to the holidays being over ? :D

·
Registered
982 Posts
I partcipate in the re-enactment of Washington's Crossing of the Delaware and the Battle of Trenton. I have a holiday party with friends I look forward to. Last year at our church we had a holiday concert by a very talented Korean-American singer whose father is a member of the Korean church that uses our building. I go to Morristown, NJ for their First Night Morris festivities on New Year's Eve. So it's become a fairly pleasant if somewhat hectic time for me.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,041 Posts
The holidays Thanksgiving and Christmas I am not really looking forward too this year. My reason I am a professional firefighter/emt, my wife is also a firefighter/ paramedic for another city, I work 24 hour shift on thanksgiving, she works 24 hour shift on christmas eve, I work 24 hour shift on christmas day, so its becoming hard to celebrate this year togather. I usually look forward to both, just this year I am not. But we will do our job so others can enjoy the holiday's safely.;) We normally love the holidays, family, and fellowship with friends.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Thanksgiving: I can give or take on it. Depends on where I go if I go anywhere, what football games are on, and if I can watch them where I go.

Christmas: A holiday that has become more about shopping and gift giving than what it should be about. I hate even trying to go to a major store like Wally World in December.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. A holiday about being grateful. I love it.

Christmas, not so much. It's been completely bastardized into something crass and commercial. I pretty much despise December as a result. Once Thanksgiving has passed I look forward to January 2. Everything in between is a giant PITA if you ask me.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Our town's population more than trebles in holiday periods.
Glad to see them go home.....

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I love the holidays because of the time to spend with my daugthers and their families. Sure, the reason behind them has been ruined by the commercialization but frankly I and my family just don't participate in that. We try to keep it about our relationships and what the day means to us.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm an atheist,but I love the Christmas season. I like the decorations,the food,the gift giving & the family aspect. My nephew is three this Christmas & it's the first time that he's going to understand what's going on. A few weeks back I brought him a couple of nra mags(he already loves guns)he thumbed through one,stopped & declared"I want this one" it was an ak. I found a toy ak with lights & sound that I've bought him for Christmas. My mom tells me that all he talks about now is getting an ak. My sister's informed me that she's unhappy with my gift. Not because she's anti gun,but because she doesn't think he'll give two rips about the rest of his presents after he gets the ak. I've already been told that my gift will be the last one he opens:D. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Xmas has been in swing in stores since labor day weekend, sick of it already, Hate Xmas music. Pre black Friday sales pitches don't get me started.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
bah humbug. I love my family, spend lots of time with them. holidays are too commercial and require too much of being in multiple locations at the same time. need to slow down and really be able to enjoy! too much rush rush rush.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Thanksgiving is the best, just our kids and grandkids. And I am thankful for all of them. Christmas brings in-laws, stuff a stocking in that one.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Humbug. My wife and I stopped participating in the "holiday" season years ago. No tree, no decorations, no shopping and especially no Christmas music (we despise Christmas music). We observed how nasty everyone gets, and the stress that people go through, not to mention the debt they put themselves in. We just don't want to be part of that. Contrary to the Andy Williams song, the holiday season is not the most wonderful time of the year. Anyone who works with the public experiences that first hand.

We informed our friends and family about our lifestyle change and everyone was decent about it. Some were actually envious and we converted 2 others into avoiding the holidays. Of course it was easy for us because we have no children.

There is a distinct difference between Christmas and "The Holidays". Christmas is about the birth of a savior. We do celebrate Christmas. We do have a Christmas dinner with family and reflect. We donate groceries to the food bank because we believe no one should go hungry, especially on Christmas Day.

Folks have lost touch with the true meaning of Christmas. The message of peace on earth, goodwill toward men is not practiced by the masses. Therefore, we choose to celebrate in our own way and not participate in the holiday madness the season has become.

·
Registered
122 Posts
One word to represent all that is bad with the holidays. GLITTER Whoever first called that evil substance "the herpes of the craft word" was spot on.
Norm

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,547 Posts
I look forward to them because I get to spend time with family.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I love the holidays because of the time to spend with my daugthers and their families. Sure, the reason behind them has been ruined by the commercialization but frankly I and my family just don't participate in that. We try to keep it about our relationships and what the day means to us.
What he said!:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I only enjoy it now because of my grand daughter. She's the only one in the family that really enjoys it. She would play Christmas music 365 days a year. My wife and I haven't exchanged Christmas gifts for more than 20 years. (her idea and I concur)
I get disgusted when the stores put out their Christmas displays in Aug or Sep. Every time I hear some one say or see an ad for "black Friday" I cringe. It's a fearful name for a day.
I could thankfully do Thanksgiving several times a year.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts