Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently bought a box of Winchester Super X 3" 12 ga. slugs from Cabela's. The box said they were hollow points, and there is an illustration of a hollow-pointed slug on the outside of the box. The actual slugs inside the box, however are flat across the nose and marked with the letter "X". Anyone know what's up with that? Did they load the wrong ammo into the box, or have they changed bullet styles, or something?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
That's pretty much what hollow point rifled slugs look like. Just a dimple on the tip.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Recently bought a box of Winchester Super X 3" 12 ga. slugs from Cabela's. The box said they were hollow points, and there is an illustration of a hollow-pointed slug on the outside of the box. The actual slugs inside the box, however are flat across the nose and marked with the letter "X". Anyone know what's up with that? Did they load the wrong ammo into the box, or have they changed bullet styles, or something?http://rugercdn.forumfoundrycdn.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
They don't look the the pictured slug on the box...more like the standard slug to me...jus' sayin'!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Slugs are mostly pure Lead, and like said just have a small dimple at the front,
trust them, they will expand

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
LOL, I guess the cavity is "X" shaped? That looks like the wrong product, or Winchester has a very loose definition of "hollow point".

·
Registered
76 Posts
A conventional slug is made differently than a jacketed hollow point handgun round and expands differently. While a JHP handgun round peels back from the center like a banana, a shotgun slug is backwards (hollow on inside with the opening in the back) and flattens for it's expansion. The divot in the front is just so the nose isn't round and helps keep it from deflecting when hitting non-flat objects

·
Registered
134 Posts
The hollow base also helps the slug bump up for a better barrel fit and seal

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to Cabela's CS, Winchester has changed the design of their slugs (but not yet the illustration on their box).

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don't think it will makes any difference in what it hits. One ounce of soft lead will flatten out when it encounters the target.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think it will makes any difference in what it hits. One ounce of soft lead will flatten out when it encounters the target.
No doubt abut that. Just curious that the ammo inside the box doesn't look like the photo on the outside of the box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts