Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with these Holographic sights. They look like a square frame of some sort mounted on top of your pistol? I have been told that target acquisition with them is real nice & real fast. Don't know what kind of magnification they have, if any. Anyone have any experience with them or know anything about them. Thinking about a sight swap for my 345 ( that's in another post) but thinking hard on holographic for one of my 357's.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have had and still do have a few "holos" and red dot type sights. Myself, I prefer the "red dot" type sight ( in a small tube ) over the holographic. I have found that the " holos" are difficult to see in bright sunlight sometimes. Most have a self adjusting brightness feature that tends to set too bright for me, causing a "star burst" effect in lieu of a dot. The POI adjustments are generally a real PIA on holos as well. The little wheel type tool used can be trying on one's patience. Red dots on the other hand generally have click value adjustments,,,,much easier.

For red dots I like Ultradot as a brand. On holos I like Docter of Burris. The ones you may see at a cheaper price ( $49 - $69 ) are generally not too good.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a number of Halos monted on my handguns, and they hold up pretty good. The only problem is sometimes the screw underneath the Halo comes loose and the sight won't hold center . Removing the sight and a touch of blue loctite solves the problem for good.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Freedom Arms thinks enough of them to list a Bushnell Holographic in accessories as well as a sight mount for others. They put one on their .500 Wyoming Express.:eek: I use them on a couple of my .22's and have been looking for one for my SBH Bisley .44mag.
Freedom Arms Mount with Trijicon Red Dot Sight

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Don't know anything about the holographic sights, but I have a Vortex red/green dot and it really works good even in bright sunlight. I found this out one morning at the gun club rifle range when the sun was coming up and was right in my face. I have heard that the holographic sights are often used in QCB situations.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Eotech all the way! I run a Eotech with a flip down 3x magnifier on my AR. I have beat the crap out of it and still holds zero. Aimpoint is crazy good also. Thing I like about the Aimpoint is the battery life. He have tested this on deployment is is going strong. A few of the guys running Aimpoints have left it on ( max ) and 6 months later it is still on, same battery. As far as every holo sight I have seen do not come with any magnification. but is not really needed. I can hit 600 meter targets with the Aimpoint all day. my Eotech with magnifier just lets me acquirer them a little faster.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i sure am glad to be reading all this information, cause i was looking to put a reflex on my winchester 1300 with rifled slug barrel, but i do got 1 question to add to this:

will a reflex hold up to the recoil of a 12ga slug gun

i have tried the traditional red dot scopes and just dont like them

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Eotech all the way! I run a Eotech with a flip down 3x magnifier on my AR. I have beat the crap out of it and still holds zero. Aimpoint is crazy good also. Thing I like about the Aimpoint is the battery life. He have tested this on deployment is is going strong. A few of the guys running Aimpoints have left it on ( max ) and 6 months later it is still on, same battery. As far as every holo sight I have seen do not come with any magnification. but is not really needed. I can hit 600 meter targets with the Aimpoint all day. my Eotech with magnifier just lets me acquirer them a little faster.
What twist barrel and ammo do you have that is accurate to 600 meters? I've found that my 55 grain ammo isn't good after about 300 yards with a standard barrel. I was thinking of getting a 1:7 and using 65 or 70 grains for further out.

To get back on subject I have both an Eotech and Aimpoint. The E is much faster to get on target but you can't leave it on like the A. Both are amazing for under 100 yards if you need to take out mulitple BG's in a hurry.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,824 Posts
+4

Have 4 EOTECH's and 2 aimpoints, and I perfer the Eotech on my AR's. I shot this group outta my RRA 6.8spc at 100 yards unmagnified, with handloads. 2" square. I found I am more accurate with the Eotech than the aimpoint with the 2moa.

I have an Eotech and an Aimpoint and prefer the Eotech because of its larger field of view. You can get on target very fast but are not the most accurate sight out there.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have an old Action Arms Mark V Red dot I can mount on my Mark II for shooting falling plate. A eoTech 512 sits atop my AR and allows excellent target tracking, both eyes open, with no worry about parallax. Adjustment for different lighting is easy with buttons at the rear base. Works with 2 AA batteries.

While I trained on iron sights, the holos and red dots are the best invention since sliced bread and I have adapted well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts