Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, i'm looking for a holster for a newly acquired Birdshead vaquero. I have seen a few on the internet while doing a search but i'm really looking for a cross draw(left handed) type holster.

So what are you guys using for your birdshead revolvers?

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,436 Posts
Cross-draw Rig

I carry mine cross-draw in an old Bucheimer Concealer holster. I always rummage through the box of "odd" holsters whenever I visit a pawnshop or gun-shop. I found mine years before I got my birdshead. I bought it because it was a leather holster for five or ten bucks. I figured I'd have something that fit in it. It sat in a cabinet unused until my little .45 found a perfect home.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice ngashooter.
I found a nice Mernickle that might fit the bill. I'm thinking I want something with a retention thong or snap though.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,436 Posts
The Mernickle holsters are beautiful. I like the security and protection the half-flap adds. It snaps on both sides so it is easily removable if needed. I hunt in S. Georgia where the briars can snatch a gun out of a holster as you ride a 4-wheeler down the "trail'. I don't use the birdshead for hunting, it's my camp pistol. I know I can ride an ATV anytime and my revolver will still be with me when I get home. It has also gone fishing with me several times in my gator-filled pond and has stayed put as I clambered into and out of the johnboat.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I'm getting a Simply Rugged for mine, I put about another $500 into it with the custom Hard Chrome and Kirinite grips, so I figure it deserves top shelf leather.

People who stick $700 guns in $5 nylon holsters, it's like putting Chinese tires on a GTO:)

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I used a mernickel shoulder holster to carry a 51/2 inch bisley vaquero consealed in my store why just because and 45 long colt swc at 900 fps is effective an hollow points are problematic in nj due to our laws.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That El Paso rig is seriously nice !

I have been using a De Santis Doc Holiday holster which I had to modify slightly. In stock form the gun inserted about 3/8" too far (muzzle would extend beyond the bottom of the holster). I glued some leather in ahead of the trigger guard for a perfect fit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some Very nice leather you guys have. Thanks for showing off your gear.

ExArmy11b I love the analogy. I agree 100% with the buy quality. It's like the guys that go out and build a custom $5000.00 rifle and then go and put a cheap $200.00 scope on it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Half flap holsters are terrific not just in the briars mentioned, but even more so in snow. Some years ago I would've liked to have such when I brushed under a tree and heavy wet snow fell on me. Unknown to me was that snow fell into my action and as the gun was warmer than the snow it partly melted and froze again. Luckily when I drew to shoot it wasn't at something dangerous as when I tried to shoot the gun was frozen solid.

I still haven't cought a flapper though, because that experience made me move into a chest carry rig easily reached.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I've seen it.......I have coworkers that spend $2,000 on some high - end AR-15 like a Daniel Defense and then stick a knockoff Chinese EOTech clone on it, I'm like "what.......are you doing?"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts