Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I have now gun wise is a half dozen snubie revolvers. Some Smith, some Ruger, and one a NAA. Easy to store/lock up and easy to tote to the range for some shooting. I am looking to add just one more to the pile in the form of a Springfield 1911. Each and ever gun has a carry oriented holster for it. A cloth inside the pocket holster for the NAA mini, a Bianchi leather inside the pocket holster for my two J Frames. A Safariland inside the pocket holster for my SP101 (Bianchi didn't make one for that model). And finally a Fobus standard paddle clip on holster for my GP100. I love the Fobus holster the most out of all the mentioned holsters. It fits like a glove restraining the revolver without the aid of any device that would get in the way of drawing the piece. Now my problem.

I have a 44 magnum Ruger Alaskan (2.5" barrel of course) that I'd like to get a holster for. Not necessarily for carry as in concealed carry, but more range/walk around carry. I've already checked with Fobus and NO they unfortunately are not making a holster for the Alaskan and probably never will. Do you folks have a good idea for me in a holster? I'm right handed and would be willing to entertain any ideas like shoulder holster, crossdraw, strongside, anything except ankle carry. Also it would have to be an overly strong holster for me to consider a nylon one. Smithy.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Trailmaster holsters specialies in the Alaskan. [email protected] He'll send you a pdf file of some of his work or try him on facebook unter trailmaster. He builds the holster to last and doesn't over charge. Plus he's very easy to do business with and will work with you.

Here are several that he made for me.

·
Registered
316 Posts
As Above, Check out Trailmaster holsters. I think Earl Southard makes some of the best holsters around. He has made 3 for me ( one for my Alaskan .44 ) and they are great nice looking rugged holsters at the right price. You will be very pleased. Here's a pic of my Trailmaster holsters.

RME

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just recieved my simply rugged holster for my Alaskan today. I haven't got to carry it yet but it is a very well made holster. Mine seems a little longer than I would like but the gun fits well and this is a good looking heavy duty holster. So far I am happy.

Doyle

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After looking at all the great holsters from Trailmaster I ordered one for my Alaskans. I really enjoyed talking to Earl and am looking forward to receiving it.

Doyle
I too spoke with Earl and have one of his Alaskan holsters on the way. I liked how he left no stone unturned asking numerous questions about how and when you'd carry, reasons for carry and just about everything else. We talked enough to where I'm sure that the holster will be a winner. About as fancy as I get on the outside might be border stamping, but I went plain black crossdraw on this one. He usually (or at least this time of year) has a four to six week backlog, but since my holster was so simple he said that he might pop it out while waiting on other holsters glue or dying to take place. I can't wait to get it. Smithy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.