Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .22 revolver that was sawed off a few inches. The owner is deceased and I'm not sure how long it was, but it's about a 2" barrel now. I hike a lot and I'm wondering what might be the best concealed carry holster for a hiker. Naturally, I would need something that would prevent it from bouncing. I've actually never bought one before so I appreciate the help.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Best thing to do, go to a local gun store and try a few holsters out and find the one that fits the revolver and you just right.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Holster hunting is a bottomless pit of cash down the hole, find what fits and go with it.

I see you are from central PA, so they have no bears there in the woods? A 22 is a bit to little to be in the woods with. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, We Have Bears

Holster hunting is a bottomless pit of cash down the hole, find what fits and go with it.

I see you are from central PA, so they have no bears there in the woods? A 22 is a bit to little to be in the woods with. Just my 2 cents worth.
Actually, I don't worry about bears much. I get more anxious about copperheads and rattlesnakes. I thought I'd carry a few shells filled with bird shot. You make a good point, though. Our bear population in PA is really thriving.
Bruce

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's really hard to CC with a hiking backpack. One idea that might work is a shoulder harness as long as you're still able to wear a jacket. Your only other option is appendix carry with your t-shirt for concealment but that's also difficult with a serious backpack with hip straps.

If open carry is legal I would just rock that little .22 with shotshell out in the open. When I'm mowing my lawn I have an SR22 with shotshell strapped to the side of my riding mower in case of copperhead.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,255 Posts
If open carry is legal I would just rock that little .22 with shotshell out in the open. When I'm mowing my lawn I have an SR22 with shotshell strapped to the side of my riding mower in case of copperhead.
+1 to that. Have someone make a little flap holster or find one on eBay. I know I'm an anachronism but I love flap holsters. It's open carry that protects your gun and is not quite as overt to some of the more clueless observers.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Have you fired this gun before? If the previous owner just chopped the barrel and didn't recrown it you might have horrible accuracy. For a cheapo woods holster an Uncle Mikes would fit the bill.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Uncle Mike makes some conceal carry pouches that look like phone cases or pda pouches you hang on your belt hides the gun in plain site

·
Registered
97 Posts
I saw one of your bears

Actually, I don't worry about bears much. I get more anxious about copperheads and rattlesnakes. I thought I'd carry a few shells filled with bird shot. You make a good point, though. Our bear population in PA is really thriving.
Bruce
You sure do have bears. Three or four years ago, I saw a road kill black bear on the PA Turnpike. It was west of central PA, but not as far as Pittsburgh. Just a .22 would make me plenty nervous. :eek:

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
ANY holster worth buying is worth buying a GOOD one. Have been gifted (free) some of the cheap stuff, Uncle Mikes an that type and wouldn't go that route again ever. Just cheap all around. Tried Bianchi and felt the same. Just can't get that GOOD fit and finish with the production line factory stuff. Anything used now, especially a holster for outdoor/hiking, carry, etc is gonna be something GOOD.

Was looking for a good hiking holster myself and narrowed it down to a few. Leading candidate is a Mernickle but may go with another Mitch Rosen. Just cannot beat the quality of this level of leather. Along with this of course goes a GOOD belt as well. It's a package.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a .22 revolver that was sawed off a few inches. The owner is deceased and I'm not sure how long it was, but it's about a 2" barrel now. I hike a lot and I'm wondering what might be the best concealed carry holster for a hiker. Naturally, I would need something that would prevent it from bouncing. I've actually never bought one before so I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Take a look at the Hill People Gear Kit Bags.... They are made for CCW & to be worn with/without backpacks. They are ridiculously comfortable and come in a few different sizes.

I own 2, the Original Kit & Heavy Recon bags and regular carry a S&W 629 3" .44 or a Glock 40 10mm with TRL-1 light.

If this is something that interests you, buy a larger one for more carry options and you'll never say, "wish I got the larger one".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts