Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an IWB and OWB for my SP 101, and have no issues with them, but was curious about an ankle holster for daily carry.

Considering the weight of the SP 101, even though it's small, how do you think it will be for comfort?

I was looking at something like the leather Galco ankle holster, but am open up to any ideas.

While I'm thinking of it, is it a good idea swap the main spring to a wolff 10, and leave the return alone, or is it better just to stick to stock when it comes to reliable carry and dry fire the snot out of the revolver until it breaks in more?

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
As far as the springs, I've gone to a 10# hammer spring and left the trigger return spring alone. So far so good and much to my liking. My decision was mostly based on comments here on our site.

As far as the ankle holster: I have a Ritchie ankle holster. It is top quality. Works great with the LCR I bought it for. As far the SP-101, while it fits the holster and the revolver is absolutely secure, it feels like its flopping back and forth. While it's not actually doing that, the weight makes it feel that way for me when walking. I'd only carry it ankle if I didn't have to move around much because I'd be bothered. I'm sure some manage that carry this way but since I have other guns for ankle carry, I mostly use them instead. My SP-101 is in pocket right now and I also carry it OWB.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I have never tried an ankle holster, just never thought that would be comfortable or practical.

My SP101 has gotten smoother from a combination of shooting and dry-firing.

Good luck with both.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
I went with the 10# hammer spring and 8# trigger spring on my spurless SP101. I very happy with the end result. Light, glass smooth trigger.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I don't do ankle carry. I also do not replace any springs in any of my revolvers. Mine are made smooth by way of the dry fire.

I dry fire practice 10 minutes daily, so my guns get lots of reps. Triggers are smooth as butter.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I can't imagine ankle carrying my SP(too bulky/heavy) but I don't ankle carry anything. The most comfortable and concealable way I've found is AIWB in a Bianchi I found cheap on ebay. Even a T shirt hides it. I've shot several hundred rounds through my SP since installing 10# Wolff mainspring, hammer shims/hammer dog shims with zero light strikes. The trigger is now smooth and light.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts