Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, as most of you know I finally made the jump, and found a SR1911. Now I need a holster, but there are so many out there. What are you using, and how is the fit? I can't spend much, around $70. Been looking at the Bianchi Remedy, or the Don Hume 721 OT. I know holsters are personal, but could use a little guidance here about carrying cocked and locked, with good retention of the pistol, but easy to draw from. Will be carrying at the 4 o-clock position.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I just bought a Blackhawk CQC Serpa Kydex holster. I am blown away by how easy it is to remove the holster and snap it into another holder. I bought it for carrying while in my truck. I go to school full time and I needed a way to easily detach and store my SR1911 while I am in class. This works perfectly - or it will, as soon as I get the mount done for the underside of the console. It wasn't too expensive, I think the total was less than $60.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you are looking for a nice cheap holster, mine fits in my uncle mikes #15 side kick perfectly, this same holster also fits my sr9 and sr40(sr40 a bit more snug)

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have a Blackhawk Serpa that works well; but my favorite and most comfortable CC holster is the Bullard Bodyguard. They are advertised on his website at $85, but bought a black leather for $70 at Fort Worth gun show.

Gun Leather, Concealment and Cowboy holsters, Azle, TX.

It has a severe cant, but weight distribution and concealability is excellent.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
bought a Galco NSAII from a guy at local USPSA club. Linky

It is an awesome IWB holster for 1911. Problem is they seem to be discontinued, can't find them on any sites - maybe get one used on eBay

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Starting point: What do you want it to do? Full CCW? Open carry? Which is more important: access or retention?

I agree that the Blackhawks Serpa are real good and a great value but they stick out WAY too far for CCW.

I prefer leather for CCW over any plastic I've found. Cheap plastic holsters always seem pretty sloppy and flop around too much.

My preferred is; leather, CCW on belt, Cocked n' locked, thumb break.

Define your requirements first then go shopping. You'll spend less money that way.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spike, I'm going for concealment, the Don Hume h721 is 5 months out, and I don't care for plastic in a holster. I'm still on the fence about open top or retention, however leaning towards retention at this point. I have looked at all the holsters brought up here, nice stuff, appreciate the inputs. I should just step back and do some more thinking on what I need in a holster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stoner Holsters offer leather products at a decent price. No thumb breaks on their items yet, but since they're molded to the guns the retention is good. If the specs of the SR1911 are the same as other 1911's externally it will fit into which ever holster style they make. (Sig 1911's are wider though)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts