Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just barely picked up my "Kodiak Backpacker" 44 Mag Redhawk. I will be carrying this revolver a lot, and just wanted to get some opinions on crossdraw holsters. I basically have it narrowed down to two choices for holsters:

1) A Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake

2) A Mernickle Crossdraw holster.

I know the Simply Rugged can be worn crossdraw, but the Mernickle, at least according to the pictures has a lot more cant to it. I have a couple other Simply Rugged holsters and love them. But I wanted to see if any of you guys regularly carry a revolver in the cross draw position. And if so, are there any major reasons why you carry crossdraw?

I'm just trying to decide if I want to get the crossdraw Mernickle. Thanks in advance for the help everyone.

DesertRat

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I predominantly carry cross draw. Works the best for me for comfort, whether sitting in the truck or in a saddle. I like a pretty extreme cant to ensure a natural draw stroke, as well as a good natural riding position around the top of my leg.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Varminterror. I am glad to hear that it is more comfortable for riding in a truck. That is definitely a downside to strong side carry in a truck, at least for right handers.

I am more than likely leaning towards the Mernickle Crossdraw. It doesn't hurt that it's one of the most attractive holsters I have seen in a long time. The only downside is it is spendy, something like $150 IIRC, and they take a couple months to make and ship.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Yeah - driving with a holster on your right hip sucks - the buckle and the muzzle just never cooperate. I carry my OC handguns left handed cross draw most of the time, putting my holster on my right hip. I'm diligent about wearing my seatbelt, so I always fight how it has to sit. I wear mine wrapped far enough around front and high enough such that my muzzle sticks through the corner of the seatbelt, which means I have to "unhook" the belt from my muzzle when I go to get out.

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
I use a Simply Rugged Pancake with my Ruger Vaquero. IWB and OWB. It's well named.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts