Ruger Forum banner

holster recomendation

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bwinters 
#1 ·
i just got my chl and purchased a ruger p95 im 9mm. I have always prefered a full size weapon so this is what i chose. i am looking for a iwb or a small of the back holdter for ccw. my weapon has the light rail.(i heard that makes a differance). i prefer paddle but can use a belt.. what do you all recomend?

#5 ·
With a P95 I don't care what holster you buy concealing is going to require some effort. If you decide to go IWB you need pants a couple inches to large. If you choose a paddle holster and carry it OWB I hope you like suits or Hawaiian shirts.

I have a P95 that I carry IWB with just a plain ole Uncle Mikes holster. It's not something I do every day. But if the need arises I have the option. I have a couple pair of jeans that are large enough to hide any of my pistols. But by and large the P95 is a truck gun.

If I had to carry the P95 all the time I would end up with a belly band holster. After a while it gets old wearing baggy pants and suspenders or Hawaiian shirts. With a belly band you can get by with just wearing a loose fitting shirt and pants that have a little slack in the waist. The only thing you have to get used to is wearing an A-type T-shirt so the elastic doesn't stick to your skin.

Over the years I have found it's best to avoid situations were I need that much firepower.

#6 ·
I understand you concern about the p95 but i live in oregon. Rain and chilly 9 months out of the year. as a matter of fact if we are lucky we will get to 54 degrees today with some sun breaks. so for the most part i am always wearing a light weight jacket or pendelaton shirt with the exeption of late june thru early september. during the months that end in R that yellow ball in the sky is almost forgotten and dismissed as myth.LOL

#9 ·
In that case you can get by with any paddle type holster with three belt loops. I live in NC. Six months out of the year I am wearing shorts and a T-shirt. I can carry IWB real easy during the hot months. Where I have problems is during the spring and fall. When I wake up it's in the mid 30s by 2 pm it's 80 something. I just open carry on those days or carry a pocket pistol.

The only upside to being an Old Crow is over the years I bought a pistol for almost any occasion. When I was a young Crow I didn't really need a pistol, it was just a security blanket.

#7 ·
PS ... My 95 (with rail) was my very first carry gun many years ago so I have a little experience here. After trying quite a few and having a drawer full of "good holster ideas" I finally landed on the following that worked well for me:
1. OWB carry - Hume JIT Slide. It has good retention, is easy on the draw and relatively easy to conceal as it holds the pistol relatively close.
2. IWB carry - It's hard to go wrong with a CrossBreed Super Tuck.

I still have one of each for each of my current carry guns, though I carry IWB over 90% of the time. Hope that it helps ... Good luck with your decision :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.