Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts
Always have P3AT in pocket, generally in a pocket-holster on weekdays. I have a special pocket which is a holster sewn in the inside-side of the pocket of my suits for dress-up occasions. That does an excellent job of keeping the gun in a perfect position for draw, seated or standing. Yeah, it DOES take some fitting and finagling to sew one in, but it is amazing how well it works. It is virtually impossible to notice print or shape.

Other occasions, I carry the KelTec P11 on its IWB clip, but the P3AT generally is along for the ride..

flash

I CC in an OWB holster daily and, sometimes (at least for quick runs out to the grocery store, etc.) I'll throw a 5-shot .38 in a vest or coat pocket...but I have a bulldog nylon holster I put it in a) to protect it, b) to block access to the trigger so as not to have a negligent discharge, and c) to avoid 'printing'.

While in Pocket Carry mode, it's not 'quick' per say...but I do have one with me and I do practice knowing what's going on around me, constantly, so as not to have someone come up behind me nor to be surprised by someone or something simply because I wasn't paying attention...giving me more time to assess, consider options, and respond if needed.

Situational Awareness and Distance are two of the greatest defenses out there...use them as needed...when needed...and first, if possible!

I pocket carry alot; sometimes in my pants pocket and sometimes in an inside jacket pocket in a jacket designed for such carry. I ALWAYS carry my pistol in a pocket holster that isolates the trigger. The absolute last thing I want is a negligent discharge. As others have said, a pocket holster help keep your pistol properly oriented in your pocket and helps keep it cleaner. Pocket holsters are inexpensive; no reason not to use one.

I pocket carry a SP101 snubby in a leather pocket holster most everyday. I used to carry a Kahr in my pocket but the softer lines of the revolver seem to not print as much as the blocky semi auto. Also I like knowing I got a .357 instead of a 9mm

I find the holsters to be very uncomfortable, especially the inside the belt ones. I have found that with the right pants, I can comfortably carry with no print and it will stay muzzle down. The pants I wear are sold by Duluth Trading Company called "flex hose" pants. My Glock 42 fits nicely but my P95 and GP100 don't fit too good😀

Using a holster. More comfortable and I have too much stuff in my pocket anyway.

Question, when PC, are you using a pocket holster to make sure your trigger is covered?

I find the holsters to be very uncomfortable, especially the inside the belt ones. I have found that with the right pants, I can comfortably carry with no print and it will stay muzzle down. The pants I wear are sold by Duluth Trading Company called "flex hose" pants. My Glock 42 fits nicely but my P95 and GP100 don't fit too good��
Take a look at StickyHolsters. They have minimal bulk yet hold the pistol securely. The outside really isn’t "sticky" but it is very nonslip when in place. It’s also ambidextrous and placement and cant is pretty much infinitely variable.

We are snowbirds so are mostly in warmer weather. I pocket carry a Sig P938 in DeSantis pocket holster in cargo shorts or jeans. At one time or another I have pocket carried an SP101, LCR38, Charter Undercover and Smith 642. Settled on the Sig. The only disadvantage for pocket carry is when sitting. If you need quick access you'll be flopping around like a beached whale. When I am walking I think the pocket has some distinct advantages over other methods. If your instincts tell you things are heading south you can have gun in hand and just look like some guy with his hand in his pocket. Access is quick and helps with the element of surprise.

People worry WAY too much about printing. 99.99999999% of the public will never notice. They probably don't notice anything at all. In the unlikely event they do notice something, their brain will log it as a cell phone and not give it a second thought.

As has been pointed out, there is a safety risk with pistols (higher in glock type pistols) of an accidental discharge.

I carry a 1911 OWB. Just get a good belt to keep the holster up against your side.

I carry in a holster every day whether for work or off. OWB holster from Milt Sparks when I'm off, Raven Concealment for work. People stating holsters are uncomfortable is from using a cheap holster and/or belt. If you have a standard dress belt on, they're not designed to support the weight of a pistol and will make it very uncomfortable. All holster makes and designs are not created equal. There are definitely cheaper holsters that are unbearable to wear for long periods of time.

Pocket pistols fit my lifestyle right now so I use Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. The Nemesis is a fabric holster and it is easy to remove the weapon from the pocketed holster. I carry small pistols and revolvers depending on the activities.

I primarily carry in coat pockets but they also work in back pocket of my jeans. Inside, I leave the weapon in the Nemesis on a table, etc. I'm happy with the Nemesis style pocket holsters.

The fastest to the draw will mostly likely be the winner. A hand already on a gun is the fastest. So easy to Pocket carry and have your hand in the pocket when approaching your car, convenience store, cash flow machine and on and on.
And since a pocket gun is so small, you can easily carry one as a back up. Faster than inserting a magazine, no transition to make for one large gun to one small gun etc.

Pocket guns are way underrated. The can be deadly fast. And do not buy into the garbage that they are just good for up close and personal. Train with one on a diligent training schedule and they can go the distance that you choose.

Watch this video. Yes, they can be deadly up to 15 yds, it is all up to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=169&v=TR7H3lbNTBw

In a coat, I don't know. I do know that in pants pockets, a good pocket holster keeps the gun from shifting around. I find that with my Simply Rugged holster for each gun I pocket carry. I dress around the guns so they don't print.

I just don't like the idea of any weapon rolling about in my pocket, even an empty pocket.

Remember too that if you cross-draw from that supporting-side jacket pocket, a perp can pin your arm and get your gun easier, if you get surprised. At least that's the conventional wisdom.

If you let a perp get close enough to pin your arm,, you’re a da.....ed fool.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.