Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If some of us are honest we will admit to the fact that what we are really looking for is a perfect gun. What we want is a derringer size weapon that shoots like a benchrest rifle. The reason that the holy grail gun alludes us is because it doesn't exist. Some folks have settled on resonable production or custom offerings and would be unmovable in considering anything new. I have owned and shot many fine firearms with verying degrees of satisfaction but I never considered Ruger P-series because I considered them a lower class, less refined weapon (can't you see my nose in the air?). Recently, I broke with tradition and purchased a P345. After refining the trigger pull and slicking things up a bit, I have now clocked 1250 rounds with steller results. I highly recommend this less than refined auto to be the best in my "Holy grail" quest so far. Funny how the $1100 Colt Gold Cup is now just a show piece. Ruger has made a poor man's rich gun for cheap. DAY

·
Registered
59 Posts
Back in the '70, I thought the ideal pistol would be:

1. 45ACP
2. As light and compact as my L. W. Commander
3. As close to Gold Cup accuracy as possoible without sacrificing reliability
4. 100% reliable with any ammo I can find
5. Double action so I didn't have to carry cocked and locked
6. Stainless or alloy to reduce corrosion
7. Ambidextrous safety (I'm a lefty)
8. Low profile controls and sights for trouble-free draw

With unlimited funds, it was probably possible to build such a gun at that time, but this was way beyond my budget, so....

9. Affordable

My KP345DPR fulfills my wish list and then some.

·
Registered
253 Posts
A guy on another forum said the 345 is "much to big to carry concealed". Yeah, okaaaaay. I carry my P97 and my Glock 22 often; I guess they're much too big to be carried concealed, too. Dang.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I carry a P90 concealed easily...I've known guys that were 80# lighter than me that carried M27 3 1/2" or M29 4" and you'd never spot 'em...concealment is 50% dress and 50% mindset...been carrying since I was 14 and never spotted by anyone...I know detectives that look like they're carrying a cannon when they have a Chief's Special...find the gun you're comfortable with-get good with it-and you'll figure out how to conceal it...like a wad of $20 bills-it's easy if you want to...

·
Registered
842 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

I carry a P90 concealed easily...I've known guys that were 80# lighter than me that carried M27 3 1/2" or M29 4" and you'd never spot 'em...concealment is 50% dress and 50% mindset...been carrying since I was 14 and never spotted by anyone...I know detectives that look like they're carrying a cannon when they have a Chief's Special...find the gun you're comfortable with-get good with it-and you'll figure out how to conceal it...like a wad of $20 bills-it's easy if you want to...
You're right on there sheepdog. I carry a P97 in an IWB holster most every day and occasionally my old "blocky" P85 with an untucked shirt and nobody has noticed them yet. The 345 should be ideal for concealed carry. I don't care for all those newfangled safety features but
I'll probably get one sooner or later.
Baker

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
My P95DPR is too thick, double stacked 9mm(17+1), for summer carry, so I picked up a used P345PR, single stack .45 Auto(8+1), for a decent price, in great condition. It fits the same holsters that I already had for the P95DPR, a Bianchi 6D IWB with ATB(Adjustable Thumb Break), Uncle Mikes Hip Holster with magazine holder, and a Uncle Mikes SideKick Verticle shoulder holster. Now for the "dressier" occasions, suits and such, I am carrying my wifes NIB SP-101 2 1/4 .357 Magnum in a Bianchi 6 IWB open top... It is real nice to have the option of very different carry guns for different occasions.

So these are my "holy grails" this week!:D

·
with Butter & Jelly
830 Posts
Its funny to look back in 2006 and see peoples Holy Grail Guns. Wonder is anyones has changed?

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
My holy grails are:

1. Ruger - Totally stainless DA .22LR revolver with a 2 1/4 inch barrel, fixed sights, and traditional two panel grip. I've been wanting this since I bought my first gun, a Speed-Six. Ruger has never made a "traditional" .22 revolver.

2. Walther (S&W) - New production stainless PPK in .22LR. S&W could resurrect it, if they chose. The original sold well enough, there were a lot of copies by other makers. A new one would sell.

·
too great for words
661 Posts
I had a P345 and I really liked how it felt but it broke so I sold it. if ruger would make a de-cock only P345 again but without the nanny features they have become so fond of I would buy two. I love my P95dc and may get another one day but right now I'm on the hunt for a P97dc and probably a second to follow down the road.

the whole point of a DA/SA trigger is so you don't need a manual safety NTM the one on the P-series is backwards. Now if they made a frame-mounted safety that was capable of cocked-and-locked carry I'd be all for that. Actually that would be cool, I would probably buy that. A single action P345 with a 1911-style safety lever. give me an optional 5 inch barrel too.

I also wish they'd loose the huge base plates on the .45 mags. maybe change it over to take 1911 mags. awesome.

·
Banned
2,137 Posts
I will try an confine myself to holy grail guns of the past twentyfive years or so. for my first twenty five the list changed weekly after that point it settled down to a managable level of monthly for a while, now I have to strain a bit to dream up one. Some of my grail guns have been on the list since my teenage years, but if I were to brag about getting something I really wanted these would be them;

S&W 65 3"

S&W 58

Remington 600 .308

Savage 99, .308 tang safety, Lyman All American 4X and Weaver pivot mounts. (A tale hangs on this gun)

Ruger flat top .44 Special

EAA Witness, 10mm /.45/.22 (The closest thing to a Bren Ten that is affordable and works)

1922 Savage 99 .250/3300, takedown (a chilhood dream)

·
Banned
44 Posts
i can carry a ruger p95 all day it is basically the perfect handgun to me. some say they are bulky and ugly but "tough as nails and reliable". i think they look nice feel nice shoot nice and they dont come much tougher :D

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
My holy grail gun would be a titanium 4 inch gp size gun 3 inch 357 with round but. Smith sacndium revolvers coem close but I like th gp100.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have to depart from the carry department and say my grail gun would be a fine O/U in 12 gauge that is as sexy and clean as a Red Label, as smooth as a Browning Superposed, and handles like a Ferrari 458 Italia...

Oh, and it would have to be one I made myself, totally and completely from scratch, start to finish...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts