Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today and started talking with the only other guy that was at the pistol range. He was shooting an SR9 that he had just bought, and asked me if I wanted to try it. I of course said sure. It was a nice gun, it felt great in my hand, and threw a very respectable group. It was just as accurate as my P89 (just a whole lot easier to conceal). I liked it a lot, and thanked the man for letting me try it out. Then he asked if I wanted to shoot his Kimber 1911 Pro Covert II with the crimson trace laser grips. I drooled some and then managed to stammer SURE!

I have never shot a .45 ACP before, let alone a $1250 1911. All I can say is WOW. The trigger is phenomenal. It's as good as just about any of the bench rifles I have shot (Not as light, but just as crisp), and the accuracy, well I let the picture speak for itself. The first shot was a called flyer; I had no idea the trigger pull was that light, and was not even closed to full sight picture when I eased it off.

The rest of the shots are slow fire at 25 feet (I did NOT use the laser trace grips). Keep in mind this is the first time I have ever shot a 1911 or even a .45 ACP. I guess you get what you pay for!

I'M IN LOVE!!!!!

·
Banned
36 Posts
Very good shooting!!! I have a feeling you have been bitten by the 1911 bug and there is only one cure. Go out and get one you can afford....

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Great shooting, John! I've recently been bit by the 1911 bug myself. I was just looking at Kimbers and really like them, but they're a little more than I want to pay. I may look into a used one soon though. :D

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great shooting, John! I've recently been bit by the 1911 bug myself. I was just looking at Kimbers and really like them, but they're a little more than I want to pay. I may look into a used one soon though. :D
I hear ya. As much as I LOVED shooting that gun, there is no way, I could go out and spend $1250 for a pistol.:eek: I think the house would have to be paid off first. But if you find a good deal on a used one, well that's a diffrent story. That's just a good investment. At least that's what I tell myself.:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
"I have never shot a .45 ACP before, let alone a $1250 1911. All I can say is WOW."

O Crap!! Quick, while you have a little sanity left, lock up the credit cards and the checkbook! As a recovering 1911 addict I can tell you that owning a 1911 is like a wild ride with a beautiful sexy supermodel. All you will be able to think about is those sexy lines and that perfect feel.... no other firearm will suffice. Next thing you know you will be broke and surrounded by others of its kind because 1911's demand company. Every conversation you have will involve grip panels, spring weights, and beavertails.

You will alienate your friends, forget to feed the dog.... I... I can't go on. I need to find a JBA (John Browning Anonymous) meeting and talk to my sponsor before I have to buy a Gold Cup to get me through the weekend.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife is up for a nice promotion at work. She told me that if the money is big enough, (and we set a salary amount, and put it in writing!) that she would let me get that Pro Covert II. I'm not holding my breath, but a guy can dream a little! Thank goodness Rugers aren't that expensive!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I can't remember exactly what I paid for mine, but it was about $600, if I remember correctly, brand new. Kimbers have a heck of a mark up, apparently, and of course it depends on the model what you have to pay.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
kimber are in my book a league of their own in the 1911 world, ive shot several and have friends that own them , they are a very well built gun if you can swing the over a grand price tag then you might as well invest you dont think you would regret it?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Ya know they say "great minds think alike". So when are you getting your Kimber Stainless II? :D
Please don't get me started. I've looked at them a few times in the last couple of weeks, and have resisted the urge. I have a whole list of things I need to spend my allowance on before a 1911. I want one so bad though. The SS with a 5" barrel looks so badass! :cool:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Very nice shooting, I was able to luck into a deal but didn't have the cash. A year later the same pistol was for sale and I jumped on it. Cost me a year and an extra C-note, but I had a Classic Custom. Seems a lot of guys ran into quality issues on some new pricey Kimbers, and hopefully that has been worked out.

I too think they're in a league of thier own. Darn near target quality out of the box, all-be-it an expensive box... :)

I hope you get to satisfy that urge, there's just something about a 1911...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Any 1911 will shoot that good with a little practise. The Kimber is a very nice looking weapon and they shoot well out of the box. So dose my Taurus, thought I would never own one. Have 3 now things do change our minds lol.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've wanted a Kimber for years...but something else always seems to slide in front of it....now, they're expensive....but oh so nice.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
1911 love

It's hard to beat a 1911 for power, accuracy, feel...
They're a bit heavy (which I like), and lower capacity, which I don't mind. it's all made up for in the ergonomics.

I bought my older Kimber Custom TLE-II (the so-called LAPD SWAT variant) used for $500. It's just great. It has some finish wear, but that helped make the price just right.

$800 just about gets you into the "modern" 1911 (excepting the Taurus), and most of those are very nice. $1250 ain't nothin' on a 1911. Check out Dan Wesson's 1911 pistols. Holy Moly. and *cheap* (why am I advertising for them? I'll just drive the price up for when I get one!)

$1500+ gets you into a Les Baer, and... wow. I mean it's one thing to pick up a new pistol and mavel at it. It's quite another to shed tears at the gun counter.

And that's not even reaching the entry point of Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk...

-Daizee

·
Registered
405 Posts
Terrible life event to have your first 1911 experience with a $1250 Kimber. They are excellent pistols. Now you got to have one and nothing else will do. I've liked every 1911 I've ever fired from the real "Mil Specs" (those issued from the arms room) to a Kimber with Wilson barrel, Caspian Slide and more mods than I can remember. I got the 1911 over an accurized Gold Cup, decided nothing else would do and I'd wait until I grew up and had the money before I bought any 1911. 40 some odd years later I decided that I could quit waiting to grow up and it was time to quit waiting for that 1911. I ended up with a Taurus that shoots about as well as the Kimber's I've fired and a P90 that's darned close.

Look around at other 1911's. But if you still have the need for a Kimber, don't wait as long as I did. You will be missing some great shooting.

·
Registered
374 Posts
mmm.... 1911

Aw, that first one isn't a long barrel. 5" is the standard.

Now THIS is a long one!
http://www.reedercustomguns.com/special_guns/images/UltimateTen.jpg

Here's mine. It's got the standard black rubber grips which feel fine, but I may have a go at making some of my own out of maple or something. It's a very business-like gun - all black, night sights. I like that and at the same time want something flashier. Uh-oh... gunderlust....

One common complaint with the Kimbers is that they use a nylon mainspring housing (the checkered area on the rear of the grip frame). It bugs me too, but I can't come up with a truly good reason to change it. Nylon is self-lubricating and rust-free, so I don't mess with it.

I've shot a bullseye match with it, but it's really not the best with a combat-weight trigger and full-power springs/ammo. I've also shot IDPA and steel plate with it, and it excels in those games. There was a young woman at the last IDPA match who was a good shot, but still looking for her first gun. I was the only one shooting a 1911 or .45 or any type, which she'd never handled. After the match I gave her a mag in my Kimber. All I told her was "It has a crisp trigger, and you need a 6-o'clock hold on those pin heads at this range," and she proceeded to shoot every one of 7 bowling pin *HEADS* off a rack at about 40 feet. I was proud of my gun (though not so much of being outshot with it! :-D).

I think an advantage that the Kimbers seem to have over the other brands in the $800-$1200 price range is that they don't feel quite as sharp from the factory. I think they do a little more edge blending before sending them out than Springfield and S&W do, but that's just my impression.

-Daizee

1 - 20 of 40 Posts