Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a small daycare business in our home and is subject to regular inspections by the state. My wife casually informed me the other day that during a routine inspection, they asked if there were any firearms in the house and if they were secured. My wife indiscriminately took the inspector to the room in our home, outside of where the daycare is, and showed them my two gun cabinets. I don't keep them in a fire proof safe. They're just metal cabinets made by Stack-on. I keep my firearms in one and my ammo, cleaning and reloading supplies in the other. She said they were happy that they were secured and ammo and guns were kept separate. They asked where the keys were kept and my wife said I had control of them. Which is true, but the spare set is kept in our safe, which she has access to. I don't think they had any desire to look inside and I think the questions were genuine in the sense that many accidents happen every year where children are hurt or killed by loose firearms. However, I don't think the questions were respectful of my privacy. My wife unknowingly revealed to them something that I was not exactly comfortable sharing and with all the recent news articles that I'm reading about people unhappy about similar questions from their doctors, I feel that I'm not alone. I was a little shocked when she first told me what happened, but I bit my tongue and decided to digest the information before I spoke my feelings. I do know that she has a stressful job and is subject to constant scrutiny. Therefore, she most likely acted with an intention to please her inspectors. She also is not very interested in my firearms and I would think that she would be unaware of any privacy considerations with them. I think she acted with good intentions, but I can't help but be slightly uncomfortable with what she revealed to them, or maybe I'm over reacting. I would be happy to hear your opinions.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I would have to go along with your feelings on the matter. But if your wife does daycare at your home,, then the line is pretty blurred.

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
.......the questions were genuine in the sense that many accidents happen every year where children are hurt or killed by loose firearms. However, I don't think....
Please do not unintentionally repeat the liberal talking points. There is no data to support the statement that " many accidents happen every year where children are hurt or killed by loose firearms". Unfortunately, yes, there are accidents but children being killed because of inappropriate access to firearms is a relatively rare event.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a inspector to ask about firearm security in a home being used as a child care center. It appeared from your description that the concern was preventing access and not simply were there any guns in the home.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,521 Posts
The inspectors now have it on record.
I hope it doesn't pose any problems in the future.

·
Super Moderator
22,047 Posts
I have no doubt that there are specific laws governing the operation of a day care center and the questionnaire they were using was specific to the state laws. I have no problems with inspectors asking about the availability of firearms at a daycare facility. If you are uncomfortable with those questions then you should get into another line of business. IMHO your wife did the right thing by being truthful with the inspectors and you did the right thing by having the firearms locked in a gun vault. It sounds like the inspectors were concerned about the children being cared for properly and when they saw it was a non-issue they moved on. I wouldn't worry too much that the state knows you have firearms as there are a lot of us around that do.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I feel the inspectors were exercising due diligence and in a perfectly acceptable way. They asked if you had guns and how they were stored and who has access. To me, not doing that would be derelict. They didn't even ask how many, just how they were secured. Your wife remembering the other keys were in a safe is a non-issue and wouldn't have changed anything. You're doing it right and they acknowledged that, I'm a little unclear what you're uncomfortable with.

Bonk - Google "toddler shot". Just the 1st page. That's too many. Period. One of our biggest enemies is irresponsible gun owners.

·
Premium Member
14,818 Posts
Sounds like it was professional and above board not just another question to find out who has and doesn't own guns. Had a doctor ask that once recently and the reply was a blank stare on my part.

·
Registered
126 Posts
during a routine inspection, they asked if there were any firearms in the house and if they were secured.
They were within their scope of authority to ask these questions, and based on what you described, the truthful and honest answers should be Yes and Yes. Everything else your wife did beyond this point is called "volunteering the information". Most of the honest people that have nothing to hide often do this.

But there is another side: if she did not invite them to the areas of your house outside of the daycare quarters, they could have made a formal inquiry to inspect the premises to make sure her answers were correct, and since your firearms and ammo are under your control, you would have a scheduled(or unscheduled) appointment with them.

You also need to realize that if you choose to have a home based business that is open to the public, you automatically give up some of your privacy; making this type of disclosures and producing a credible evidence that you are in compliance is part of operating a business . You just can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My wife use to own a daycare center in Fla. ( different location than our home ) . I know inspections and inspectors were very strict it was always about the kids as it should be.Your wife should have a manual from your state with the rules that govern her home based daycare center. I'm sure they probably reference firearms and safe storage in the manual somewhere.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,242 Posts
I know of two child-shooting-child accidents in my local media area in the last couple years. It does happen too often because it's entirely 100% preventable.

If you run a business that involves other people's kids in your home, then you lose the right to be indignant about privacy unless you were talking about a locked shed or outbuilding fifty yards away from the day area or something like that. Your wife did the right thing to proudly show off locked and secure firearm storage, just the way it should have been.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know of two child-shooting-child accidents in my local media area in the last couple years. It does happen too often because it's entirely 100% preventable.

If you run a business that involves other people's kids in your home, then you lose the right to be indignant about privacy unless you were talking about a locked shed or outbuilding fifty yards away from the day area or something like that. Your wife did the right thing to proudly show off locked and secure firearm storage, just the way it should have been.
It is good we have a consensus on this matter.
Also, I'd like to praise Lawn Dart for two things: first and foremost, for having everything in a good order at any unexpected moment, and for his wise decision to delay an emotional reaction towards his wife's actions. For the future, perhaps both of them should develop a plan on how exactly to handle such inquiries when he is not around.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Seems to me that if you want to continue a successful daycare business, the inspectors call the shots.
Best to be open and honest and up front rather than invite a deeper secondary inspection.
JMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
The facts are on my side. Tragic as the deaths are they are still rare and represent one of the least likely ways a child will be accidentally killed. My one and only point is to recommend we collectively stop regurgitating the liberal antigun talking points regarding this. Their agenda is to tug at the populaces heartstrings by overstating the case regarding accidental child deaths by gunshot. I agree that even one is too many but don't aid and abet the liberal's false narrative by repeating the "many cases of accidental child gunshot deaths " mantra. It's simply not true.

The first link is a summation of the CDC data and is published by the NSSF. The second link is the actual CDC data. Wade through it at your own peril. I tried to find an antigun viewpoint to counterbalance the NSSF presentation. After reading several I couldn't find even one that honestly reported the facts. Their sole agenda seemed to be to discredit the CDC data as being flawed and not representative of the actual deaths. That may or may not be the case but in the absence of any other 'official' stats I can only assume the CDC data is the most accurate data available.

Again, even one is too many.

http://www.nssf.org/pdf/research/iir_injurystatistics2013.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,242 Posts
Bonk is right and CDC data is always a good source.

I think - to our credit - everyone agrees that these sorts of events are terrible and preventable. As my CCW class instructor said, if you own five guns and no safe, sell one gun and buy a safe for your remaining four weapons. Also, follow Massad Ayoob's advice and "gun proof your children" by bringing them up right.

But I also agree that there are people out there willing to politicize and overstate the numbers. For example I wonder if the daycare inspectors also asked if there was an uncovered swimming pool at the residence. Statistically, that would be much more dangerous.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I guess I'll be the desenting vote here. No A daycare isn't a business that usually expects public travel due to the security of the previously mentioned children. And if they have no code to comply with that you're required to know then what is in your home away from the daycare isn't any of thier business. I hear in here a whole bunch of what progressives have been shoving down the populous throat.jmho

·
Registered
222 Posts
Bonk is right and CDC data is always a good source.

I think - to our credit - everyone agrees that these sorts of events are terrible and preventable. As my CCW class instructor said, if you own five guns and no safe, sell one gun and buy a safe for your remaining four weapons. Also, follow Massad Ayoob's advice and "gun proof your children" by bringing them up right.

But I also agree that there are people out there willing to politicize and overstate the numbers. For example I wonder if the daycare inspectors also asked if there was an uncovered swimming pool at the residence. Statistically, that would be much more dangerous.
A good daycare inspector will look at the outside of the property and be all over an unsafe pool.lol

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
It is good we have a consensus on this matter.
Also, I'd like to praise Lawn Dart for two things: first and foremost, for having everything in a good order at any unexpected moment, and for his wise decision to delay an emotional reaction towards his wife's actions. For the future, perhaps both of them should develop a plan on how exactly to handle such inquiries when he is not around.
+1 on your praises to LD!

I don't think we are regurgitating the progressive line, merely commending common sense on the part of LD and his wife. A common sense that is too often lacking in knee jerk reactions,

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Without knowing the actual codes and requirements (licensing, etc) for such a business in your location hard to say. If there's regulations pertaining to this, you gotta abide by them. To purposely hide and have something occur later could be a BIG legal issue.
Ppl always all up in arms about anybody asking and how it's nobody's business but then let the world know on all these forums.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Without knowing the actual codes and requirements (licensing, etc) for such a business in your location hard to say. If there's regulations pertaining to this, you gotta abide by them. To purposely hide and have something occur later could be a BIG legal issue.
Ppl always all up in arms about anybody asking and how it's nobody's business but then let the world know on all these forums.
It is called personal choice, a liberty thang. The people on this forum make a choice that is theirs to talk about their firearms.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts