Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home Defense Gun

59K views 371 replies 292 participants last post by  ninjatoth 
#1 ·
What do you use for home defense? Tell us about what is kept in your night stand (or wherever else).

I keep a few because there have been a lot of crime in my neighborhood recently. We had some suspect individuals move into the building next door and I believe they deal drugs and run prostitution out of their apartment... so I've decided to keep things safe.

Front door: Hi Point 380 (soon to be replaced)
My Nightstand: Ruger SP 101 loaded with Federal .357
GFs Nightstand: Ruger S222 (I know, I know... soon to be an SR9C)

Plus I might purchase a Mossberg shotgun.

Too much? My brother thinks so... but I'm going with the "have it and not need it versus need it and not have it" principle.

Reactions: Ghost1958
#4 ·
Two bars are less than a block away and a meth house was just broken up down the street. This block use to be respectable but I suppose with the economy the way it is/was landlords have to rent to whomever has money... and drug dealers and pimps are that I guess.

It might be too much but when you get random people who look like meth'ed out crackheads asking for money or to "use the bathroom" coming to your door you tend to think they aren't really there for that.

Plus being shot before myself, I tend to think I'd like that to not happen again.

#5 ·
Around the home I carry an LCR in pocket and it goes in a holster hung on a bed post at night. Nicely hidden but very accessible in a piece of furniture is my SHTF 20 guage Remington 870 pump with pistol grip. I think there's no need to have allot of guns around the house if you keep one in your pocket.

#8 ·
Again, to each their own. I'd like to hear about the furniture set up as I might adopt that.

Forgive the spelling but it's called an armwahr in my bedroom. I "blacked out" the upper portion of cabinet and put in two medium size screws. The 870 goes in up at the top and it's pointed at the bedroom door when I remove it. The gun is black so it's totally hidden to anyone looking in there. I test close friends I can trust and ask them to look into the cabinet and see if they notice anything and not one person has discovered it until I told them. Incidently, several of my friends have done the same thing after seeing my set-up.

#10 ·
I have the same thing in the safe with the 20 round mag loaded as a just in case gun. Forgive me for saying this but get a black sling for it and it will finish off the nice firearm.

#12 ·
me???

nah, i like the plain ol mil surplus green. it works, and i buy a bunch of em up at a time.

#13 ·
'Too much? My brother thinks so... but I'm going with the "have it and not need it versus need it and not have it" principle.'

Get his opinion on this:

We live on 200 acres in wildlife conservation with no kids at home...

Bedroom: Taurus Judge loaded with 3 410 pdi and 2 .45 Colt HP

Work desk: Ruger 1911, .45 acp HP

main door: Savage Auto .32 with 10 FMJ

Honda Big Red MUV: TriStar 12 gauge (switched with Win 94 when coyote population is high) AND Taurus 1911 with .45 Colt HP

Wife's purse: Ruger LCP .380

Wife's vehicle: Colt .38 revolver

My vehicle: Taurus 9MM

(because of my dress style and activities, I do not carry)

Work shop: scoped Ruger 10/22 (primarily for visiting varmints) and paint ball gun for dog education.

Alarm system: seven dogs, three with impressive mouths

Welcome sign: 'ignore the dogs, beware of the owner'

Yes, I have had occasion to shoot with intent....

#14 ·
SP101 hanging on my side of the bed from a homemade stainless steel bracket that keeps everything out of sight and mind. Streamlight on the night stand with a couple of speed loaders in case I need to check something out.

#88 ·
My new Ruger SP101 is now my Home defense weapon, used to be my beloved tactical 870 express.:D

#17 ·
My side of the bed, SR40 w Hornady XTP155s(my CCW weapon), P345 w 230 Golden Saber and Mini 14 w 75 gr BTHP handloads. her side 1911 w 230gr Ranger HP(her CCW weapon) a Taurus 66 in .357 w 125 Gr Mont Gold HP and 1892 Lever gun with .357 Mont gold 125gr. Both .357s have 20gr of 300MP powder.

#18 ·
hanging on the wall above my bed is one of my Mossbergs and in the night stand is the gun I carried that day usually my S&W 3913 9mm, it could be my S&W Sigma .40 or a Taurus 689 $in .357.

#19 ·
I have a small safe in my bedroom that has the three CCW guns in my rotation. All loaded.

The safe downstairs has my range guns. Not loaded, but with loaded mags or speed loaders close by. 1911 would be grab gun if I'm downstairs.

The plan is to put a Rem 870 in the closet once funds allow and I decide on how to make it kid proof but quickly accessible. A lot of choices, but most have a good $$$ tagged to it.

#87 ·
The plan is to put a Rem 870 in the closet once funds allow and I decide on how to make it kid proof but quickly accessible. A lot of choices, but most have a good $$$ tagged to it.
I ended up with a 870 Tactical in a stack on gun cabinet in my closet. I didn't care for the quick access methods for locking up the shotgun, so went with the small cabinet instead.

#20 ·
Nothing says "Get off my lawn" like a 12ga! :D

#24 · (Edited)
i beg to differ, the Garand is the only way to back a punk out of your yard :D
it just likes a fella who has all intentions and no hesitation to drop you in your tracks.
i know its far from ideal for home defense and i wouldnt recommend it, but im just a bit too fond of the ol '06 ;)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#22 ·
Whatever my wife and I carried that day goes on our nightstands. For my wife, it is usually a S&W .357 magnum or an FNH 5.7. For me it is usually a 1911 .45 ACP or a Glock G20SF 10mm and a Sig P238 HDW 380 AP. The gun safe has other options. The dogs are our early warning system. They sleep in our locked bedroom.

#23 ·
She has the SP101 in the nightstand. I have my duty Glock on mine, goes from my belt to the nightstand. Baby Glock that's my BUG goes into the drawer. One of the dogs (the Basenji) is the alarm. If I come home early, he's crouched on the bed growling before I walk in, stays that way until he knows it's me. That's a pretty scary sound coming from that dog.

#26 ·
I have my p95 in my dresser drawer if I have to get my safe open "in my in case room" I some one is in for a world of hurt mossy 500 is loaded ar loaded with couple mags mini 30 ready to go and many hand guns starting with a 4 in the description 454,45*2,44 etc.

#27 ·
Either a Kahr PM9 or P380 is on my person until bedtime, then they go in the bedside safe along w/ 2 GP100's ready to rock as well as a 12ga. The rest are kept unloaded in the safe.

#28 ·
My only SD gun, a LCR-357 loaded with Hornady .38 XTPs. If I had the funds for a dedicated house gun, it would probably be a Mossberg pump 20 gauge.

#29 ·
Just getting back into guns now that the kids are grown (Wife's rule) so my selection is limited right now. Golden rule: The one with the "gold" (wife :rolleyes:) makes the rules!

My carry SR40c has one in the chamber ALWAYS, and usually not far away from me. Carry an IWB leather holster, and a permanent nylon holster for it mounted in the truck.

MKIII has 2 loaded clips beside it on our ground floor, not "loaded" but everyone in the house knows how to do so in a hurry.

Next weapon on my list is a KGP161, it'll be loaded and ready in the house unless it's with me, with full instructions for the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.