Ruger Forum banner

261 - 270 of 270 Posts

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Right now I've got a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge with an 18" barrel and a weapon light. It's loaded with Winchester #3 Buck. It's a very light and handy rig. If you wonder if 20 gauge is enough check this out:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot22.htm
Ditto on the 20 ga. I have a number of 12ga. but started studying the ballistics and realized for home protection a 20ga is more than enough. I bought the 500 flex. I have the tactical stock, a hunting stock and a Pistol grip stock.
The Pistol grip is very easy to use. Almost like a big pistol, easy to maneuver, easy to go to target and excellent results at the range. I placed a Flash light with a quick switch on the Grip for easy on/off.
I also Placed a bigger safety switch, and a bigger Release for faster action in the dark.
I have it loaded with #4 buckshot. Fast, agile, easy to shoot, easy to practice with a lot of rounds in one day of shooting, less noise, less recoil, less flash and won't take out the neighbors if I have to use it.

I also thought about a Mossberg Youth in 20ga. Actually for cost that would have been a excellent option.

Note* I do not live in a war zone. I seriously doubt it would be used beyond 7 yds. No need for heat shields etc. I also was concerned about blowing out my ear drums with a 12ga.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the older Rem 870 18 in walnut behind the door, with a few in the tube also a 14 inch Rem with that arm brace that looks like a stock and is a hoot to shoot ready to go . and Moss 18 inch behind the french door .:)

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
The shotguns stay in the safe.......my .45 is all I need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remington 870 Police model with a Knox folder. My backup gun, is a custom built Tromix Saiga-12 with a couple of MD arms 20 round drums.
:)

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Saw a H&R Partner Pump 20ga on sale from Slick guns for $139.00, 21". Personally, I believe that is all one would need for home defense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Mossberg 500.... 20ga. W/16" barrel/ pistol grip. Loaded w/ 3" turkey magnum rounds. It is easy to maneuver and lightweight. I plan to add a flashlight and a laser sight. Hey it works for me. Back up is a P90 Ruger 45acp.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
It's an old Stevens/Savage 77F 12 gauge pump with the bbl cut to 18 inches.
The only reason is my uncle had damaged the muzzel and gave it to me because he didn't want it . Cutting the bbl. to 18 inches left no choke and no front bead/sight .
With #4 buck it does house duty .
Thinking about shooting a 12 gauge inside the house doesn't thrill me and I wish it was a 20 gauge . I've been looking at all the neat defensive 410 loads developed lately for handguns and think with these the 410 might be a contender .

I watched a police officer miss an attacking dog at point blank range with three shots from a 12 ga. pump with no butt stock , it just had a pistol grip like the Shockwave .
The problem is they are not easy to shoot accurately and when a dog/person is attacking you , I would not have believed a trained police officer would miss a dog three times at a range of 3 to 12 feet . The dog had been attacking people and other dogs on the street. He pulled up , got out , opened his trunk and the dog came running after him, he removed short shotgun from the trunk and fired #1 at 3 feet, the dog was literally at his feet , he missed , dog stopped, turned started to retreat and he shot #2 at 6 feet another miss , officer stopped , tried to take better aim fired #3 at 12 feet and missed again...the dor ran off down the street . He called in the back up ...Animal Control. I stood 25 feet away and watched him miss 3 times because he couldn't get a bead on the dog . I would not have a 12 gauge Shockwave after what I saw if you gave it to me .
Before you bet your life on one shoot it and make darn sure when the chips are down you can hit with it . The hip shooting I witnessed was totally ineffective .
Gary

·
Premium Member
13,944 Posts
Mossy 590 12g Shockwave with shorty adapter and short shells with birdshot
Mossy 500 with pistol grip and 18" barrel with shorty adapter and shorty shells with bordshot.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use a Rock Island M5 as a home defense secondary weapon. Pistol would be primary.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We have had several shotguns over the years dedicated to home defense.

Remington 1100 short barrel with extended magazine;
Mossberg 930 JM Pro Series;

now we have a pair of Remington V3 Tac 13s. We will buy two more when we can find them.

We did not like the Shockwave or the Remington V3 Tac 13 because of the potential for stress related short stroking and the need to change grip and point of aim to pump. The recoil was also significantly higher as well.

261 - 270 of 270 Posts