Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I made some maple grips for my revolver, and they turned out pretty nice, except I screwed up; I decided to oil finish them--now after a couple thousand rounds they're black and splotchy from grimy hands. I'd like to refinsh them with a nice stain and urethane-type sealer. BUT, now how do I remove the penetrated oil from the grips so I can start over, so the wood will absorb stain, etc. HELP

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You will not be able to remove the oil that has soaked in. You should be able to clean up the grips by a light sanding as the dirt and grime will be on the surface. After sanding down, you can try your stain, it should have some effect and finish with your urethane of choice.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You will not be able to remove the oil that has soaked in. You should be able to clean up the grips by a light sanding as the dirt and grime will be on the surface. After sanding down, you can try your stain, it should have some effect and finish with your urethane of choice.
+1

·
Registered
575 Posts
Urethane will not stick well to a once oiled wood . Tung-oil would my 1st choice . You can use a auto brake cleaner to get oil out of wood , NOT CHOKE CLEANER it has a lube in it . Then stain it and clear it with lacquer paint and oooo steel wool after each coat .

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Want to stain once-oiled revolver stocks

Urethane will not stick well to a once oiled wood . Tung-oil would my 1st choice . You can use a auto brake cleaner to get oil out of wood , NOT CHOKE CLEANER it has a lube in it . Then stain it and clear it with lacquer paint and oooo steel wool after each coat .
Thanx for the suggestion--I'll give brake cleaner a try. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts