Ruger Forum banner

home sick today = online whining

422 views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Argo 
#1 ·
started feeling nasty sick at work today and had to leave. always feel guilty about taking sick time, but better than passing out or throwing up in front of students.

#2 ·
All the best mate, hope you're feeling better soon.

#4 ·
I seldom took sick time after showing up in the morning, if I had managed to get to school in the first-place I tended to hang on thru the day.!! It was too much hassle to get things ready for a Sub.

Those days are long gone now... Hope you're feeling better.

#8 ·
i agree-- it usually is. we happened to have an extra sub in the building already today (don't know how that happened, but it worked out ok for me.. i talked to her for about 10 minutes, showed her all my materials, and we were good to go). i would have, but i was feeling really woozy/dizzy, and literally didn't want to faint or something in front of the kids.

#9 ·
When our kids lived at home and were in school, that is when my wife and I would catch whatever bug was going around. Funny now, the kids are both long moved out, (They are 29 and 31) and we dont get sick very often at all. And my wife works in a hospital.

When they were both in elementary school, they both got Chicken Pox. Well both my wife and I, to our knowledge had never had it. My wife caught it, and she was seriously ill for about 2 weeks. I never did. I talked to my doc about it, and he told me, I probably had a mild case when I was a kid, not enough to show major symptoms, but I got the immunity. My wife got pneumonia on top of it too. I thought she was going to end up in a hospital, but kind of rallied through about the time we were ready to send her. For a young healthy woman at the time, she was sick.

Anyhow, hope you feel better soon!

#10 · (Edited)
When they were both in elementary school, they both got Chicken Pox. Well both my wife and I, to our knowledge had never had it. My wife caught it, and she was seriously ill for about 2 weeks.
My wife had a business meeting in Orlando when we were in our late 40's. I bought a ticket and we went down early for a mini vacation. We went to Disney and had a fun time. Her meeting started up and I stayed an extra day and then went home. In about a week or two I started feeling bad and one morning I woke up with red spots on my stomach. I went to the emergency ward and got the right this way immediate treatment when I told them I thought I had chicken pox. The Dr gave it one look and said oh yes you have chicken pox. He then said do you mind if I bring in a younger colleague as he has never seen it before. Sure go ahead. They were worried about me getting pneumonia from it as I guess it can settle in the lungs but other than the itching and nasuea I didn't have a problem. About two week later a friend was at another hospital and they were talking about the 49 year old in Exeter Hospital that had the chicken pox. Guess that was my 15 minutes of fame.;)

Troubador222:

When your wife gets older she should definitely get a shingles shot. Adult onset chicken pox can lead to the shingles.

Argonaut22:

Hope you are feeling better. There is nothing worse than the stomach flu IMHO. You feel like you are going to die and start to wonder if that is a bad thing.

#11 ·
Hope your feeling better ArgO! When I was sick in bed with a "cold" a few weeks ago, it was really the flu. I had a flu shot several days before and was beyond sick. Guess when I'm getting my next flu shot? I'm going to ask my Dr. about the shingles shot the next time I go.

#12 · (Edited)
I've had two flu shots in the past, and both gave me the worst cases of flu I'd ever had. No shots the last three years, and I've been fine except for a moderate case of pneumonia last year.

I work in a very closed up environment, a bus, with the AC or heat circulating the air, and germs. We have too many customers wheezing and coughing so bad you think they'll drop dead in their seat......:eek:

Another driver said that if the Plague ever came to town, the bus drivers would all die first........:(

#13 ·
thanks, all. actually home sick again today. just feel like garbage. don't know if it's flu bug, but it's not fun.

+1 on several of the above comments: chicken pox-- never had 'em as a kid and got them when i was 24. sickest i've ever been in my life! like, shaking from fever and practically delirious sick! so i guess by contrast this isn't so bad.

flu shots-- always got sick after every flu shot i ever had. stopped getting them about 4-5 years ago. what's the use?!

gonna have some soup here in a bit if i can get myself up and about. you know you're sick when it's the early/middle of the day and you have no desire to even get up out of bed (this is all via laptop on bed).

#14 ·
In 1988 I came down with what was called the Chinese Flu back then. My fever hit 102.6 and I could not move. I was out of work for 9 days and after that I decided to get a flu shot every year. I can't remember another bout of the flu since then and I swear by them. Had mine already this year.

#16 ·
Hope you start feeling better soon arg0. Being home sick is no fun at all. About 7 or 8 years ago I came down with West Nile, that was kinda spooky. It felt like the flu on steroids for about a week, then like a weird head cold for another week, not an enjoyable experience. Probably the sickest I've ever been, although the one time I had food poisoning was really violent and made me feel like I was half-dead.

On another note, thanks for your service as an educator. A very honorable and often under-appreciated profession.

#17 ·
thanks for the thoughts... and the thanks. i've never had what i do referred to as service quite that way, but it is when you stop and think about it. all teachers (that i know anyway- we certainly don't do it for the money ) go into their profession with high ideals and a sense of a public mission. public service does encompass the broad spectrum of military, law enforcement, emergency and education.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.