Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First let me apologize because neither of these pistols are Rugers:eek:
The first set is from some local Mesquite on a old west Uberti 357

This set is claro Walnut on a Abilene 357

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Very nice workmanship! :cool:

I have a Blackhawk that I've thinking about putting wood grips on.

Do you use a general pattern that you start out from for the sizing and shaping of the blank grips?

Good job!

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice workmanship! :cool:

I have a Blackhawk that I've thinking about putting wood grips on.

Do you use a general pattern that you start out from for the sizing and shaping of the blank grips?

Good job!
Thanks, I make the pattern from the grips that came from the gun by tracing the outline on the grip slab and leaving it large enough to final fit by sanding.

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both of those turned out really nice. You've really got me thinking about giving it a try now. How long did it take to sand those down?
I rough them out with a belt sander to get them close then it takes a couple hours to get them where you want them and then depending on finish that can take a few days with drying time .

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Nice job, wish I was good with my hands like that.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Darn nice work...looks great!

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next set your going to hand checker right?:)
Wish I could but we don't have a fireplace for all of the scrap wood I would end up with:eek:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Nice wood, I love Mesquite wood, & you did a very nice job on those. Looks really good !! :D

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Great looking grips. I like the set on the bottom best because they have more contrast to the wood grain. Nice work!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Wish I could but we don't have a fireplace for all of the scrap wood I would end up with:eek:
Hey neighbor, excellent job on the grips. I have seen some of your *bone* grips in person and the quality of these wood ones are no surprise!
Jim would agree with you on the extra scrape wood too, he gave up on the checkering and now does 'stippling', looks good and way easier to do.
Next time I am over at your place I'll take you up on the mesquite wood offer. Unfortunately my wife broke her foot and will have surgery in the morning so I'll be busy waiting on her for the next few weeks.

I have been making grip inserts for the SP101 I showed you matching the GP100 and I couple more that are experiments. So far It's been fun!

Talk to you soon.
Lou

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey neighbor, excellent job on the grips. I have seen some of your *bone* grips in person and the quality of these wood ones are no surprise!
Jim would agree with you on the extra scrape wood too, he gave up on the checkering and now does 'stippling', looks good and way easier to do.
Next time I am over at your place I'll take you up on the mesquite wood offer. Unfortunately my wife broke her foot and will have surgery in the morning so I'll be busy waiting on her for the next few weeks.

I have been making grip inserts for the SP101 I showed you matching the GP100 and I couple more that are experiments. So far It's been fun!

Talk to you soon.
Lou
Hey Lou ,
I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply on this and it too bad about your wifes foot . Hopefully she is doing well now and whenever your ready come on by and get what kind of material you want to work with.
Is Jim back in town yet if so you guys should come by when you get out and about again.
Take care,
Terry

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts

Talk to you soon.
Lou
I wish you and your wife well. I've had two major foot surgeries. They are painful and slow to heal. There are so many small bones in your feet that can easily break again before they set. Ask me how I know that. :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts