Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

New Ruger owner.

I bought a used LC9 at a local gun show. I really wish I would have brought brand new :mad:

Anyway, do you guys have any input into my problem? Here she is.

I took her to the range today for the first time. I ran some reloads through her and was miserable. Extraction was never a problem. However, when it loaded a new round, often times I would pull the trigger and nothing would happen. I would have to pull the slide back about an inch and release and then it might shoot. If that didnt work, I had to pull the slide all the way back and eject the good round and fire the next one. When I did this, the chances the next round would fire was 50/50.

After running 50 through, which took a while, I mentioned to the employee at the range of my problems. We decided I should try to run some factory rounds through it to see if it was an issue with the reloads. The results were better, however, I still had the same problem every 5th round or so.

One thing to note is most of the time I knew it wasn't going to fire as the trigger wasnt difficult to pull. It was almost too easy to pull. There was tension on the trigger but not as much as when it did fire

I also had some moments when the slide didn't move all the way forward after a shot.

Your advice is appreciated.

Bummed in CO

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I can't help you with your LC9 issue but I'm sure somebody here can. Welcome to the forum though.

What part of Colorado are you in?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I don't know much about the LC9.
With the exception of two, all mine have been brand new.
But.....
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Sure someone will chime in soon, good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
First, Welcome to the forum
I have an LC9 with well over a 1000 rounds & no problems . I feel you may have purchased a defective gun.
I would recommend contacting Ruger customer service to send the gun to them.
You do not mention your experience with handguns, but I would not test a new gun with reloads.
I would also thoroughly clean & inspect it prior to the 1st. range visit.
Good luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The spring pushing up on the trigger bar is more then likely week. I don't know if you know how to fully disassemble the LC9. There are alot of videos on how to do this and also some on the Galloway Precision website. But I would start by adding more tension to the trigger bar spring by bending it a little. This helped mine greatly. The problem I had was the spring being week and the trigger bar dropping out of the hammer way too soon.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You might also look at how clean everything is. There are recurring stories of folks finding a lot of brass and other types of shavings inside the firing pin channel. It may be worth taking things apart and doing some in-depth cleaning. Make sure that everything is properly lubricated, especially around the slide and the center rail where the slide hits to reset the hammer. The little gun seems to be very stout, but, like most of us, it responds to some care, and it does have some internal rough edges that will smooth themselves out as you fire it some more.

Don't be put off by having bought a used one. The gun is too new to be worn out, and any problem that you are having with the used one you would likely have with a new one, too.

It appears to me that a lot of people buy this little gun and then find that they just don't like it, for a real variety of reasons. That leads to some real bargains out there. I bet you got one.

If all else fails, give Ruger a call. I think you'll find that they bend over backwards to help their owners - new and used.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'll also vote for a GOOD cleaning! And checking springs. I have seen several gripes of brass in the firing pin area. My LC9 has app. 750 trouble free rounds through it!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Probably the best advice I can offer is to have you contact Ruger.
They have three ways to get info check out thier contact page at:

Ruger Contact

The LC9 is a great little banger and worth the effort.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have never had any problems with my LC9. I would call Ruger and they will likely tell you to send it to them. You will get your LC9 in perfect working order!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had exactly the same issue with mine and took it to my local gunsmith. He found a little piece of primer metal in the striker channel. Removed it, cleaned it, and it's fine now. Try that.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would contact Ruger, they are well aware of all of the issues with the LC9. I am sure they will take care of it for you. I have one I bought new, had a few issues, latest being the front site moved. Ruger was fantastic about sending a new slide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thx

Thanks for all your advice guys!

I've watched a Youtube video on cleaning it and is pretty straight forward. I think I'll start there and test. If not, then I'll give Ruger a call. I would hate to send them a "defective" gun that is just dirty. In fact, looking at it, it isn't my standard of clean. I only have a Shotgun but I keep it extremely clean. This is my first handgun that I bought for CC.

Also thinking Im going to toss the extra box of HP Reloads. Lesson learned....

Thx again guys!

B

1 - 14 of 14 Posts